CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-03-2003, 07:31 AM   #1
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Friends,
Last night during jiu jitsu, my foot was cranked (toes rotated inward and down) and before I could tap, POP!! Just a small amount of pain initially, then the pain went away and it felt fine. Very little swelling last night, if any. However, I woke up this morning and it's swollen (moderate). The pain is not intense, but enough that it throbs, and walking will be difficult today.

My question... I've never had an injury not swell up until the next morning? Do you all think I should head into get an x-ray, or something of that nature? I'm just worried about the popping noise, and the delayed swelling.

Thank you in advace for your advice.

Brad
Old 04-03-2003, 07:38 AM   #2
John Frankl

Profile:
Brad,

It's difficult to comment without seeing exactly what happened and what the present condition of your leg is. But is sounds as if you are describing a "figure-4" foot lock. The good news is, unlike a heel hook, your knee is probably safe. Those pops, gruesome as they sound, also don't necessarily signal major trauma. I would say RICE and ibuprophen are a given, and, if you have any sort of medical coverage, go right in and have it looked at professionally.

Good luck on a speedy recovery,

John
Old 04-03-2003, 09:43 AM   #3
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
John,

Yep.. figure-4 foot lock. I dropped a few tabs of ibuprophen this morning and the pain and swelling is much better already. The pop scared me, but I think you're right.

Thank you for the advice, I do appreciate it!

Brad
Old 04-03-2003, 07:05 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Id just add the MICE (movement, ice, compression, elevation) is the vogue now...passive and active range of motion w/o serious pain. also if you want to avoid the nasties associated with th ibuprophen try Zyflamend by New Chapter. it is a reversable COX-2 inhibitor...hell of an antioxidant coctail as well.
feel better!
Robb
Old 04-04-2003, 10:45 AM   #5
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Will do... already felling better. Thank you again.

Brad
Old 04-07-2003, 03:29 PM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Light resistance conditioning essential to help prevent reoccurance, or injury in the first place. Get some therabands and work all flexions of the ankle and wrists. Especially in your chosen sport. You'll save yourself some downtime.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:15 PM   #7
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Therabands? I'll look it up. Thx!
Got promoted to purple belt recently, and there are a few hungy blues who like to take feet hard.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:53 AM   #8
Nick Cole

Profile:  
I'm just recovering from a bad ankle injury I did the same as you however did some tendon damage and chipped my bone, am using a wobble board as part of my rehab which is proving to be excellent for strengthening my ankle.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:43 PM   #9
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Check out jumpstretch.com and take a look at their flexbands. They're more expensive than Theraband, but also much stronger and more versatile because of the coninuous loop design.
You might also check out the ankle traction video tape. From what I hear it works wonders. I don't have that one, but I do have the flexibility tape and it's good. They're definitely home video quality, but they're only $10, so I think they're a steal.
The stretching program really helped me recover from a pulled hamstring. Nothing was helping for over a month and then I tried the JS stretching program and I felt a little muscle 'pop' and then things started getting better over the next few days.
Jumpstretch is one of the few things I highly recommend. In my home gym, kettlebells and jumpstretch bands are pretty much the big 2 pieces of equipment I use. I also have parallettes, clubbells and ankle weights in my room.
My traveling gym is my JS bands, gymnastics rings and a kettlebell if I'm driving.
Tyler
www.girevikmagazine.com