CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Hello folks,

I received my crossfit bar from WF yesterday and noticed it felt somewhat heavy. On a fluke, I weighed it...sure enough 44/45lbs (I think it is actually advertised as 20kg). Cool beans.

That made me curious about my bar from sports authority (the 300lb weight set for $100 or so). I put it on the scale and it weighed 31lbs.
I then thought, well as long as it adds up to 300lbs I guess the bar doesn't have to weigh 45lbs. But no, the weights add up to this:

45 x 2 = 90
35 x 2 = 70
25 x 2 = 50
10 x 2 = 20
05 x 4 = 20
2.5x 2 = 5
---

Sooo, to be "300lbs" the bar needs to weigh 45lbs. It came with spring collars, so those don't factor in.

Does this make sense? A few pounds off is no biggie, especially for the price, but sheesh 14lbs seems like a lot? I guess I need to try it again on my higher-quality scale but the method above was the same from both bars.

Howard
Old 10-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
James R. Climer

Profile:
Isn't the basic women's Oly bar
15 Kg?

Sounds like you now have a complete
set.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
Matt Smiley

Profile:
Happened to me too!

I bought a rusty old weight set off Craigslist and dove in, working out for about two months until I read – either in the comments section or here on the message board – about someone else whose bar turned out to weigh less than expected. I promptly went down to my backyard gym, picked up a 45 lb plate in one hand and the bar in the other, and my heart sank a little. I refused to believe it, and I took it inside and weighed it on a scale. Just as you found – 31 lbs. It still works fine and holds as much weight as I can put on it, but I was to have to adjust all my PRs for the past two months!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Yes, it's the ego hit that's killing me...that and now my mind doesn't auto-calculate the weight based on what plates are on the bar.

So, any idea if Sports Authority will make good on it? I'm not even sure I have the receipt, though I have plates that say "sports authority."

Howard, who will now have to put "all weights for the past month are 14lbs off" in his workout log.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I got a 300 lb set from play it again sports, same deal, 32 pounds. I'm going to complain that what they advertised as a 45lb bar is actually 32lbs, see if I might be able to exchange it for something.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Well, the drama continues. Sports Authority agreed to change it so off I went. When I picked up the new bar it didn't feel right. But we had no way to measure the weight. It felt closer to a 35lb DB than a 45lb DB. It was the last one. They said if it is another 31lber they would make it right somehow.

It is. I'm hoping another SA in the region will have the correct bar...and I'll be taking a scale. If not, they said they would order one...but that is a 4-6wk wait. I can just see ordering one, having it arrive and weighing 31lbs. Sheesh.

Howard
Old 10-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
Paul Findley

Profile:
I suspect all they bars they have are all wrong. These stores would buy large quantities from the same supplier to get a deal to pass the savings to you...unfortunately, it appears you also get a significant *rollback* in quality. But it is better than just thinking about lifting weights.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
The sales guy said this was a big hoopla when it was discovered and they thought all the light-weight bars were gone...but apparently not.

I doubt it was intentional since a 31lb bar isn't that much cheaper to make than a 45lb bar. It may have been part of a legitimate set but was confused as part of the 300lb set. At least that is the impression he had.

We'll see what happens.

Howard
Old 10-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #9
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Well, I know what happens...crapola.

I first spoke with a customer service/manager person (not sure of her real title) and she seemed determined to help me obtain a 45lb bar.

Today I called and got the manager. He said that SA now has no 45lb bars, anywhere. They now use a 35lb bar unlike the rest of the universe. He wants to compensate me with two 5lb plates. That would be six 5lbers (the set already has 4 of them), wonderful. I asked if I could roll that "discount" into bigger plates and he said yes (I'll likely get 45s or maybe 25s, not sure). So, I'm not happy about it at all...though I'm not sure what this guy has the power to really do about it, other than a full refund. I guess I'll keep using my girly bar (along with my real crossfit bar).

Howard

P.S. To add insult to injury, this means my scalse is showing me at least four pounds lighter than I really am...lovely. Sarcasm off.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #10
Aaron Dutton

Profile:
I had to check my cheap craigslist bar - 43 lbs or thereabouts. Whew.