CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-18-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
Beau Bray

Profile:
Hey everyone,

I recently received some power rings I ordered. (Thanks Tyler!)

I have a really nice beam that I could mount them to in my garage. I read that most people use eyebolts to mount them.

Does the eyebolt have to go all the way through the beam with a nut on top? Or can I get a beefy eyebolt, screw it in a couple inches and call it good?

The main reason I ask, is because I don't think I can get to the top of the beam to put a nut on it, as I live in an apartment. I've taken them to the elementary school a few times to use them, but I'd like to have a way to mount them in my place.

Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

-Beau

Edited to add:
I weigh about 224 and my workout partner weighs about 250 lbs. Not sure if that makes a big difference.

(Message edited by Jhangles on May 18, 2006)
Old 05-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
Chris Jordan

Profile:
I don't think I understand. What's this "beam"? Is this a floor joist for the apartment above? How thick is the beam? Are we talking a 2x10, 4x6, I-beam?

You are probably going to be ok if you pre-drill a hole then screw a pair of eyebolts into wood. Overkill is not advised. Preserve as much of the wood as you can. If you weigh 250# each bolt won't have to support more than 200#...even if you start doing weighted muscle-ups.

And now for the disclaimer:
You might consider these facts:
-I'm not an engineer. I work on computers.
-Your landlord may not understand why you put the upstairs living room in your garage.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
Robert Dobo

Profile:
I was just going to ask a similar question. I have been looking into buying a pair of rings (where you got yours would be helpful) and I was wondering what is suggested for screwing them into the bottom of a floor joist. I can't bold them in either, they would have to be screwed in... also what would be the suggested width of mounting them at? Two Joists/32 inches?
Old 05-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
Beau Bray

Profile:
The beam looks to be a 4x6.

Thanks a ton for the reply!

I saw a video of someone here doing muscle ups in their living room. It looked like just an eyebolt into a floor joist, but I wanted to make sure. It'll definitely be awhile before I'm doing any weighted muscle ups!

Thanks again!