CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-10-2003, 08:06 PM   #1
Robert Wolf

Profile:
If you have read Lights Out this is pretty exciting:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1 4520474&dopt=Abstract
Old 10-11-2003, 04:04 AM   #2
Coach

Profile:

Yeah Robb, one of my current favorite topics: cancer and glucose.

That is very interesting, but not very surprising. Cancerous cell's affinity for glucose is well established. In fact, Otto Warburg recieved a Nobel Prize for demonstrating as much.

Throw "sugar cancer" or "caloric restriction cancer" into Google and standback.

Barry Sears, PhD, addresses much of this in his first book as I recall. At any rate you can't talk to Sears for more than a couple of hours without his reminding you that cancer cells are glucose fiends.

It may not be a very scientific approach but I wouldn't litter the landscape with the favorite food of any monster that I was trying to either irradicate or discourage from hanging out. But then again, I'm not a scientist, I'm limited to common sense to get by.

Coach

Old 10-11-2003, 12:09 PM   #3
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Great article, thanks Rob!! I found a few more on that note, but I will have to read them before I post them here. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2003, 05:00 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Coach-

When I was working at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center there was a woman who as the subject of an ongoing study. She was diagnosed with advanced metastatic breast cancer about 20 years ago. She did some research and Otto Warburgs' findings apparently influenced her. She reasoned that a carb free diet might be her only chance. She is stil here and admitedly is only one person but aparently there have been others followed more recently. When I asked the scientist tracking her progress if there were any scientists following long term high carb cancer survivors he said there were none. No researchers, no survivors.

This lab is in the sticky situation of asking for funding to investigate a VERY unpopular subject...carbs and cancer. Sad and a bit infuriating.
Robb

Old 10-13-2003, 10:27 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
My girlfriend is a PhD who works for a company heavily involved in cancer research. She points out that one important aspect of cancer cells is that they are fast growing cells. So is hair, which is why chemotherapy makes you lose your hair - the therapy 'targets' only fast growing cells. Fast growing cells are hungry cells. Hungry cells that get fed are healthier and grow faster. Hungry cells that are starved are weaker and grow slower. So the theory goes. Of course the conundrum is that PEOPLE who are starved have supressed immune systems. The immune system is the body's #1 defence against cancer. So, the ideal anti-cancer diet would starve the body in just the right way, yet still keep the immune system healthy. Tricky task to pull off.

'Food' for thought.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:23 PM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Maybe fasting fits in there somewhere?
Old 10-13-2003, 02:51 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Lincoln-

Methotrexate is one of the biggies which causes epithelial cell death (hair, mucos membranes etc.) Methotrexate is a competitive inhibitor for folate which is key in replicating cells. So, reduce folate to prevent cancer, right(standard linear western logic)? Nope! Folate deficiency is a major risk factor for cancer as it acts as a methylating agent to control gene expression.

I am very dubious as to there ever being an effective chemotherapeutic. I think it is as likely to make exercise in a pill. the "magic bullet" approach is not going to work here.
Robb