CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-23-2003, 01:41 PM   #1
Roy

Profile:

I started my Part time package handler job on monday for FedEx ground. During orientation, I kept begging for information on how to just start as full time instead. I got a few funny looks. Then I started the work the next day........DAMN. Now the funny looks made sense. To be quite honest, I was humbled. Unloading 1000 packages an hour of all shapes and sizes including 150+ pound carpet rolls for 4-5 hours straight nonstop with no breaks or even a minutes rest perfectly replaced my WOD! I admit that years of stacking haybales on the farm werent even this intense. After every shift I felt like i did one hard set of 3000 power cleans(literally, thats about what it is!)

If anyone is near a FedEx or UPS warehouse and want/need a part time job, this is the way to go! It can really wipe you out! Im guessing a meltdown of about 1500 calories a shift; at least.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:18 AM   #2
Tim Rowell

Profile:  
I worked as a UPS preloader for about a year, that was the most physically demanding job I ever had. The pace is just insane. Most the time I literally did not have the time to wipe the sweat from my face. We worked for about 4-5 hours, with one 10 minute break, during which I would down a liter or more of water. Was also working in a lumber yard at the time.... that kept me in the best shape of my life, without going anywhere near a track or weight set. Now that I sit in front of a computer all day, Crossfit is the way to go.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:20 AM   #3
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
I did my stint as a loader/sorter/training supervisor for UPS a couple of years ago. It's definitely a way to keep active for 4-5 hours straight. I lost 20 pounds in my first month of work. The only thing is I'm pretty sure some lbm was part of it. Although I enjoyed the challenge, I think that working at a pace like that for hours on end is probably a good way to raise cortisol levels (not a good thing), especially if done third shift. I think UPS delivery people generally start off by doing the type of work that Roy and Tim describe before being moved to the driver position. Although I have yet to see a fat one, I don't see to many that look like Duffy or Greg either.

Just some thoughts,

Ryan
Old 11-24-2003, 09:14 AM   #4
Tim Rowell

Profile:  
Ryan,

I agree about losing LBM. I did this in Florida, and even early AM the temps/humidity were high, and to add to that, if you were unlucky you were one of the guys in the trailer. We generally started at 3:30 AM, and that level of intensity at that early hour was definitely rough, but youth will see you through a lot. I made it through 2 holiday seasons before I had enough.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:30 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I had a job just after high school in a Coca Cola bottling plant. They had a problem with cans leaking, so we had to inspect and restack pallets of soda, all day long. We had a turnover rate in HOURS, not days. Guys would show up from the temp agency, work for a couple of hours and never come back from their 10:00 break.

On the second day on the job I couldn't straighten my arms anymore, my biceps were so sore.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:57 AM   #6
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:
RE: cortisol levels and decline in lean body mass, I'd suggest alot of yoga and/or meditation as your "workout" when doing this kind of job. Eat well, get enough sleep, and do your yoga. Anything else is overkill. BTW, I'm a former warehouse worker.
D
Old 11-24-2003, 05:05 PM   #7
John King

Profile:

Dude, thats funny I worked for FedEx before I became a cop, they used to make me unload the "cans"....That was the best part of the day. After that I had to go on a delivery and pickup route. Id rather be shot at any day than go back to FedEx....Way too stressful!
Old 11-24-2003, 06:05 PM   #8
David Heyer

Profile:
I worked at a meat packing company (back in the day), cutting, wrapping and boxing pork loins. This was unbelieveable how physically tough this job really was.
So I can relate. After a few weeks, you will adapt somewhat. Until then, keep working hard, but make it fun somehow. Challenge yourself, race against the clock/co-workers.

Dave
Old 11-25-2003, 04:41 PM   #9
Roy

Profile:

Im moving back home after thanksgiving, so I no longer have this job. Unfortunately, I think it screwed up my bad wrist again. Its hurting a little more often now. I'll just stick with sports and crossfit.