CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #21
Robert Olajos

Profile:
In the spring I was chainsawing down a tree in my front yard. One of the big branches got hung up. I tossed a rope around it and started yanking. That's when my 80-year old neighbour came along. Ex-Marine from WWII. Nowadays he's a trapper. (I found him in the bush once after putting his snowmobile through the ice. He was walking out, about 20 km in deep snow. What other choice did he have?) Anyway, I was yanking on the rope and making very little progress. He comes along and adds his strength. The functional fitness this old guy has is amazing. Darn near snapped the branch holding up the one that was stuck. I felt like an 8-year old competing with my Dad in a tug-of-war. CF makes me feel functionally strong, but I have a long way to go to beat this guy in a tug-of-war.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:53 AM   #22
Adam Levenson

Profile:
I want to thank everyone for their insights. It answered my personal curiosity and allowed me to understand a bit better how to take my training and life.

I would also like to tell Elliot not to insult people that you have no idea their back ground, especially when I made no value judgment on these people. I simply wanted to know why they do not get results. Just because you make an observation about a group or an individual does not mean you are “excessively self-congratulatory” Actually, you are the one who called them Peons, not me.

For example my grandfather worked refrigeration for his entire life. He is a very strong man 6'4'' and around 300 ibs. Very obese, I wanted to know how you can obtain this result when you bust your butt all day. He also has a bad heart, high blood pressure and bad knees and hips now. Many of my younger relatives are on his path.

I felt and have always felt I am generically predisposed to be obese. Once I finished college, first male to do so in my entire family and I have several older cousins with 6 uncles, I got a bit chubby and I only saw it getting worse. I starting doing BJJ, but I was not getting the results I wanted. I was painfully thin after a bit. Due to depression and not eating combined with BJJ. At 5’8 and 135 I decided to get a bit bigger. I went up to 185 ish and I did not like that either I was at 15 to 20% body fat depending on the measurement method. Currently, I am 160 and leaning out. It seems I am not losing muscle mass this time or weight, simply my flabby middle.

This post was not in the least bit “excessively self-congratulatory” I haven’t accomplished jack yet. I am no where near my personal goals, nor do I think my grandfather, my uncles, or several of my plumber friend are peons and I would appreciate it if you kept your bias and insults out of my thread.

This was a valid question relating to people in my life that I care about and about myself.