CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Timothy Segur

Profile:
Power Rack Vs. Squat Stands??

Ok I have been looking at a lot of threads and have seen do it your self squat stands and power racks but which is better and why? Do I really need a power rack? It seems like a lot of space being taken up for the same thing that a portable squat stand would do? Any comments or advice? I don't have a lot of room and don't want to spend a whole lot of money so I will probably be building whatever I decide on.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
John Biddle

Profile:
Re: Power Rack Vs. Squat Stands??

Power racks/squat racks have safety rails. I imagine they could be more stable than stands depending on the design (that may or may not be right). They often have plate storage on the sides. A cross piece on mine gets used to hold feet on a home-made GHD. I could use the safety rails for dips. People use the top cross-piece of the cage type ones for pull ups. When not exercising, you can store other equipment inside the rack. So, to me, racks do a bit more, with the trade-off that they take up more floor space than stands.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Rob Lorenzini

Profile:

I have both in my Garage. My rack is actually a power "cage" type so I will assume that is what you mean when you say power rack.

like this...
http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Item.a...Pro+Power+Rack

Personally if I am squatting (front, back) alone I feel much safer in the power rack. The safety rails are excellent for safe lifting and make it easy to safely lower the weights onto the safety rails in the event of a missed lift.

For testing 1rm or doing very heavy sets of squats, not to mention bench press (personally I like benching heavy) you cannot beat the safety and versitility of a power rack. Additionally if you put bar mounts on the front of the power rack it can essentially serve the same functional purpose of the squat stands.

The squat stands are excellent if space is an issue also I love the squat stands for taking them outside for a change of scenery or doing lifts off the lifting platform. I use the stands mostly for press, push-press, push jerks, front squats and overhead squats.

If you have the space you cannot beat the safety and versitility of a power rack (cage type), if space is an issue and you do not mind dumping your weights on the ground squats stands are fine. If you are going to use squat stands make sure you learn how to dump the weight correctly as you can really screw yourself up if you do not know how to dump the weight properly.

Personally I do not recommend the open style "press" rack as the safeties are very small and give a false sense of security. I have seen people bounce out of this style of rack before and it was not a pleasent experience.

http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=493

Thats my 2 cents
Old 05-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
Jared Ray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Segur View Post
Ok I have been looking at a lot of threads and have seen do it your self squat stands and power racks but which is better and why? Do I really need a power rack? It seems like a lot of space being taken up for the same thing that a portable squat stand would do? Any comments or advice? I don't have a lot of room and don't want to spend a whole lot of money so I will probably be building whatever I decide on.
York Press/squat stands. Love em.
www.yorkbarbell.com wfs
Talk to Allison Foreman about CF discount.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Tom Fetter

Profile:

I had the space, so a cage's footprint wasn't a problem. We squat in it, use it as a rack for lifts done on the platform, and as our primary place for chin-ups.

Squatting inside a cage sure feels safer to me than having to dump a failed attempt, whether or not it's "objectively" true. That leads me to be a whole lot more aggressive with my loading and my resulting strength gains than I would be otherwise. It's also truly comforting when putting a heavy squat back on the pins, that the cage doesn't wobble or tip ever-so-slightly as I've had squat stands do if I'm not exactly gentle.

t
Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Paul Findley

Profile:

I have both. Got the cage on craigslist for $150. Got the York Press stands new - I never see stands on craigslist. As stated above cage is great for heavier days, circuits, a few people doing stuff in parallel, drying laundry etc.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:41 AM   #7
Stanley Daniel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ray View Post
York Press/squat stands. Love em.
www.yorkbarbell.com wfs
Talk to Allison Foreman about CF discount.
Just a heads up on their barbell recall for anyone -

http://www.yorkbarbell.com/recall/index.html

Hazard: Due to a defect in the sleeve mechanism, the bar can break under the pressure of significant weight, which could injure consumers and by-standers.

Incidents/Injuries: York Barbell has received two reports of bars breaking under the pressure of significant weight. No injuries have been reported.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:46 AM   #8
Sean McMaster

Profile:

I had stands first and they were fine, but then I got a rack for free from my friend. I definitely like it better. Space is not an issue for me, and I like being able to just walk the weight back until I hit the supports and then lower it down onto the hooks, instead of trying to aim the bar into the hooks like I had to do with my stands. It seems safer.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #9
Stanley Daniel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lorenzini View Post
I have both in my Garage. My rack is actually a power "cage" type so I will assume that is what you mean when you say power rack.

like this...
http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Item.a...Pro+Power+Rack

Personally if I am squatting (front, back) alone I feel much safer in the power rack. The safety rails are excellent for safe lifting and make it easy to safely lower the weights onto the safety rails in the event of a missed lift.

For testing 1rm or doing very heavy sets of squats, not to mention bench press (personally I like benching heavy) you cannot beat the safety and versitility of a power rack. Additionally if you put bar mounts on the front of the power rack it can essentially serve the same functional purpose of the squat stands.

The squat stands are excellent if space is an issue also I love the squat stands for taking them outside for a change of scenery or doing lifts off the lifting platform. I use the stands mostly for press, push-press, push jerks, front squats and overhead squats.

If you have the space you cannot beat the safety and versitility of a power rack (cage type), if space is an issue and you do not mind dumping your weights on the ground squats stands are fine. If you are going to use squat stands make sure you learn how to dump the weight correctly as you can really screw yourself up if you do not know how to dump the weight properly.

Personally I do not recommend the open style "press" rack as the safeties are very small and give a false sense of security. I have seen people bounce out of this style of rack before and it was not a pleasent experience.

http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=493

Thats my 2 cents
I'll have to agree about the press rack - I own one - it's great for "rets n' sets" vs doing something like squats or presses for time and running to another thing - you might actually "miss" on of the safety catches when running towards to pullup bar to beat your previous record!

On the other hand, if you have limited space and just need a rack to do the basics moves - you need to be alert when returning the weights - one set of catches are smaller than the other on here... it was the cheapest thing at the time I could find - and I keep it in my apartment - setup took like 15-20mins tops I believe... it's sturdy though!

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Fitness-B...0164319&sr=1-2
I don't know it's limits, but I've racked up to 225lbs (Olympic weights + bar - that's all I have) on it with no problems -

Last edited by Stanley Daniel : 05-07-2008 at 06:00 AM.