CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #171
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: The BBQ Thread

That looks awesome Matt! Nice job and good smoke ring. Reading SS too...priceless.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #172
Matt Hitt

Profile:

Big time bump. Not BBQ season really, anymore, but a question for all the smoke junkies out there who won't stop just because it's a little colder out there.

My friend's dad just bagged two does, more than he really needed, and big hunks of venison are coming to Columbus soon. I know it's a really lean critter, so it might not bbq well at all, but has anyone had any success smoking venison/game at all?

If so, which cut? I was thinking a shoulder/rib/something with a fair amount of connective tissue, but I'm way out of my element with this meat. Also, what's a decent internal temp to shoot for? Any help is much appreciated!
Old 11-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #173
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hitt View Post
Big time bump. Not BBQ season really, anymore, but a question for all the smoke junkies out there who won't stop just because it's a little colder out there.

My friend's dad just bagged two does, more than he really needed, and big hunks of venison are coming to Columbus soon. I know it's a really lean critter, so it might not bbq well at all, but has anyone had any success smoking venison/game at all?

If so, which cut? I was thinking a shoulder/rib/something with a fair amount of connective tissue, but I'm way out of my element with this meat. Also, what's a decent internal temp to shoot for? Any help is much appreciated!
I'm a fan of this site: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5 (wfs). They are very knowledgeable about anything BBQ related. If I remember right, one guy wrapped some venison in bacon so it didn't dry out while smoking, and another one wrapped it in foil and put some liquids in it to keep it moist. Spend some time searching the site and/or wait for Jay, I'm sure he has recipes for every part of the animal
Old 11-17-2009, 04:59 AM   #174
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
I'm a fan of this site: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5 (wfs). They are very knowledgeable about anything BBQ related. If I remember right, one guy wrapped some venison in bacon so it didn't dry out while smoking, and another one wrapped it in foil and put some liquids in it to keep it moist. Spend some time searching the site and/or wait for Jay, I'm sure he has recipes for every part of the animal
Joe is spot on. That is a great site for BBQ info. I'd post a link to the Cookshack site, but since it's based around the Electric Cookshack smoker, really doesn't translate well for charcoal / propane smokers, though the concept of long and slow still does apply. I'd use a remote meat temp gauge, watch when the meat gets to your "done" temp, foil and let rest as Joe said. Google is your friend as hunting season is here and there will be some serious meat fests going on.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #175
Mike Volpe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
With summer around the corner, least here in the North East, I figured a BBQ thread would have merit as BBQ recipes were starting to “intrude” into the Bacon thread.

I’m not a BBQ expert by any shape of the imagination, but it has become one of my new favorite foods, or one of my favorite ways to prepare foods. I just ordered the Cookshack Amerique, which should be here in a few days.

Here is a the Wiki definition of BBQ:

Barbecue or barbeque (with abbreviations BBQ, Bar-B-Q and Bar-B-Que, diminutive form barbie, used chiefly in Australia & New Zealand, and called Braai in South Africa) is a method and apparatus for cooking food, often meat, with the heat and hot gases of a fire, smoking wood, or hot coals of charcoal and may include application of a marinade, spice rub, or basting sauce to the meat. The term as a noun can refer to the cooking apparatus itself, or to a party that includes such food. The term as an adjective can refer to foods cooked by this method. The term is also used as a verb for the act of cooking food in this manner. Barbecue is usually cooked in an outdoor environment heated by the smoke of wood or charcoal. Restaurant barbecue may be cooked in large brick or metal ovens specially designed for that purpose

So, please feel free to post any and all comments, recipes, and equipment concerning BBQ.

Here are a few links that I go to on a regular basis. Be warned, most have advertisements, and do take some navigation, but come on, it’s BBQ and we’re talking about kicking back, cooking long and slow, having some fun.

All links are W/F/S/

Garry’s BBQ Pit is a great place to start, many links to the classic BBQ sites.
http://bbq.netrelief.com/barbecue_links.shtml

BBQ with Mainely Dave. Dave has a Cookshack Smoker, so his recipes will be tailored to that smoker, but it’s packed with recipes and pic’s.
http://www.lamaine.com/bbq/index.html

The Cookshack Forum. Their forum is packed with not only Cookshack cooking tips, but with BBQ in general, this site is very much worth your time.
http://forum.cookshack.com/groupee

Do the Q
Don't know if this thread is still alive, but I randomly found it and got a lot of value from these grilling tips links. Another site I found that updates with new tips pretty frequently is http://mycavetools.com/grilling-tips-and-tricks/