CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #181
John Jaeckel

Profile:
Re: Vegan Paleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Silveira View Post
Thank you all for the feedback!

I appreciate all of the advice although I must say I have no plans of including animal products in my diet. I realize this already makes me a bit of a misfit in the CF domain but I don't think it will affect my performance in any significant way.

In searching the boards I found many people criticizing and arguing against other member's ethical beliefs or support for specific scientific evidence.

In addition to my philosophical viewpoints on the subject (which, in theory could be argued against) I have issues with my digestive system, like IBS, which, for me, have warranted a vegan diet.

I'm knee-deep in the reading you all have provided and again thank you for your feedback. I am grateful for any and all help that I can get!
I've had lots of arguments here about the 'science' behind some folks beliefs, but never the ethics. if you have an ethical problem with meat or animal products, I respect that totally (I don't have that ethical problem at all).

I do think, though, you are really sort of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole to call a vegan diet Paleo.

Choose the diet that works best for you in terms of your results, sense of well-being and your ethics.

The underlying principle of the Paleo Diet is that your diet should mirror as closely as possible those of our pre-agricultural ancestors, because the vast majority of our evolution happened before that time. Those folks generally ate what they could find or kill which in many months of the year, (in many places) was darn little vegetation.

With regard to IBS, you really, really should consult Robb Wolf or another more progressive nutritionist with regard to gut irritation and a vegan diet. I'll just say this: since I've gone Paleo, when i do eat some small amounts of grain, my stomach tells me pretty fast.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #182
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Newman View Post
sigh. You totally missed most of this post. True Paleo, eating what Paleo man ate, can contain any grains / some cooked carbs, variable animal meat, fruits, veg, nuts, seeds.
sigh. You totally missed my point.

True Paleo, eating what Paleo man ate, will contain protein from animal sources (and insect sources as well, to be strictly accurate).

That makes the title of this thread a misnomer. If the OP had more accurately titled this post "Strictly Vegan with no Starch" or something like that, none of this confusion would have occurred.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #183
John Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Burns View Post
Problem is that there are way more people it didn't work for. Building any kind of muscle mass or strength on a vegan diet is very difficult.

Ask yourself why you are a vegan. If it is for health reasons you are going find a huge amount of information disputing the fact that meat and fat are bad for you. If for animals rights reasons, well that is personal and not something you will probably change your mind on.

Joined just so I could respond to these statements.... This is not negative, I just feel that as a vegan we are often stereotyped... Here is a three month gain cycle with photos.... all 100% vegan.... I currently am exploring paleo vegan with good success.... It is not easy, however it can be done....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	veg-dad[2].jpg
Views:	382
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	12222  
Old 04-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #184
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

You signed up to necro a 3 year old thread? You may find the forum more accommodating these days. Mike Mahler is a referenced guy here for several things and there have been several productive vegan threads in the last 6-9 months. Mostly, people defend their food choices because if you are doing something different they think it means you are telling them they are wrong. Unless of course you actually tell them they are wrong....