CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
Nelson Escobar

Profile:
Cough after training...

Hi all,

I have searched the forum regarding coughing after training, however it's not what I think I have.

basically after a hard met con i will end with coughing fits much like a exercise induced asthma, however this time after hammering Grace out I had a really bad coughing fit and have still got a bad cough 4 days later. there is no phlem coming up or any congestion, I have gone to the doctor and he is puzzled and suggested the use of a ventolin inhaler. I am wondering if anyone else has had something similar.

i dont have a problem whilst i am training but i have given myself some rest from met cons to see if it settles.

thanks
Nelly
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Richard Joy

Profile:
Re: Cough after training...

I get that after every time I do Grace. I call it "Crossfit Lung." However, I've never had symptoms last longer than a few hours. In my case, I think it's basically a drying of the mucous membranes in my throat (trachea? pharynx? larynx? I don't know.) from the extremely heavy breathing I do in that WOD. The drying irritates my throat, so I cough and have a sort of burning feeling.

Do you live in a very dry climate? I would guess that very low humidity could make things worse and prolong the symptoms. Maybe you could try a hot shower after the WOD to get some relief.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Nelson Escobar

Profile:

Hi Richard,

thanks for the feedback, Perth is dryer than what I am used to and it is coming into summer. ill try the warm shower after training and see if it helps, the coughing has slowed down compared to what it was so hopefully i am on the mend
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Tim Geiman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Joy View Post
I get that after every time I do Grace. I call it "Crossfit Lung." However, I've never had symptoms last longer than a few hours. In my case, I think it's basically a drying of the mucous membranes in my throat (trachea? pharynx? larynx? I don't know.) from the extremely heavy breathing I do in that WOD. The drying irritates my throat, so I cough and have a sort of burning feeling.

Do you live in a very dry climate? I would guess that very low humidity could make things worse and prolong the symptoms. Maybe you could try a hot shower after the WOD to get some relief.
I've also heard of this most commonly associated with Fran as "Fran Lungs" I think^ nailed it, but from my experience living in the midwest, southwest, and socal it is worse when there is a little humidity. I never experienced "Grace Lung" when I lived in Arizona.