CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
Rochelle Gardner

Profile:
Feedback RE Bladder Sling Surgery

I am wondering if anyone other female CrossFitters have experience with CrossFit life/limitations after bladder sling surgery. I am considering this procedure but would like REAL stories of recovery and REAL limitations following recovery. Most in the medical field professionals have not yet embraced the idea of women moving heavy weight or have no idea what I am talking about when I say "I CrossFit." I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Feedback RE Bladder Sling Surgery

Can't say I've seen this question before on this forum and I don't know much about it.

Hopefully someone has had it that can answer your question!

If you're getting physical therapy afterward you may consider asking your PT.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
April Jacobson

Profile:

I am having it on Tuesday along with a hysterectomy. I will let you know how it goes. My doctor told me no lifting at all for 8 weeks, so it seems I will pretty much be a disaster when I am back up and lifting again.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
April Jacobson

Profile:

Four weeks post-op yesterday and I am feeling great. Actually did some light work the last few days. Doctor still pretty adamant about no lifting for 4 more weeks, but I think another 2 weeks might be enough. My high level of physical fitness has really helped my recovery process and I am already glad that I went ahead with the surgery. (Jumping jacks were already better!) I have lost 10 pounds (muscle) which is very hard, but I can see that I will be back at it better than ever soon!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
April Jacobson

Profile:

8 weeks post-op today and I am totally healed and back to lifting. Not setting any pr's yet, but doing great. I was able to start light met cons 6 weeks post-op and lifting last week. I am SO glad I had the surgery- it is really great to be able to jump and lift now. Just thought I would pass along the progress and say that even though it was a hard recovery, I am glad i had it done.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Glad you have made a great recovery..

H

ps your post has made me brave enough to post my topic. thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Lisa M Sauer

Profile:
Red face Re: Feedback RE Bladder Sling Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Jacobson View Post
8 weeks post-op today and I am totally healed and back to lifting. Not setting any pr's yet, but doing great. I was able to start light met cons 6 weeks post-op and lifting last week. I am SO glad I had the surgery- it is really great to be able to jump and lift now. Just thought I would pass along the progress and say that even though it was a hard recovery, I am glad i had it done.
Hi, I'm so happy to read your post! I've scheduled transobturator sling surg for 1/23/13 (had a total hyst in '04), and unfortunately started doing more research about 'heavy lifting' after the fact.. Most of what I read scared the daylights outta me! No heavy lifting for life?? what?? I am relatively new to CrossFit, about 15 months in, after a lifetime of fighting weight but had really only succeeded with walking and WW.. Now that I'm getting "older" (big 5-0 next year!), those just don't work anymore. A friend's son-in-law turned a few of us on to CrossFit, and asked us to give him 3 months before we up and quit. After never setting foot in a gym myself, and really only walking, I was of course terrified of working out, and working out in front of other people. Fast-forward to today, I'm still a bit overweight, and to look at me some would wonder if i exercise at all, but CrossFit has changed my life! I still finish most days dead last (emphasis on dead), but have worked up to a 275# deadlift, 145# front/back squats, 115# clean&jerks.. fell in love with the barbell after never touching one in my life! Then, I decided I needed to fix the personal problem i was having with jumping and lifting heavy...I'm too young to be dealing with that! But when I saw the lifting ban on pretty much everything I could find about the surgery, I'm starting to reconsider doing the surgery. I am praying that it's just not true, and wanted to thank you for at least giving me a shred of hope that it's not!!
I hope there are other women of CrossFit that have had this surgery and were able to get back on the bar within a few weeks!!!