CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
Paul Kemp

Profile:
Re: HRT?! Sleep Apnea, Insomnia, Hypogonadism? Whats going on?

A bit of an update on my problems;

I have been on the CPAP since about last March- a little less than a year ago anyway. My AHI has gone down to 1.8 (Apnea-hypopnea index)- which seems like its around normal for most people.

Around the same time of my last post here I started taking Andriol to boost my T levels. Initially I felt much better but my sleep patterns remained the same. I was waking up feeling ok.

I had to go off the CPAP for a few weeks because I was travelling- but continued to take the andriol. Got back to Bangkok in September and had my bloods done;

Total T - 306 ng/dl
SHBG 34.3 nmol/l (10 - 60)
Free T - 60 pg/ml (90 - 300)
E2 12.2 pg/ml
LH 1.95 mIU/ml
FSH 3.08 mIU/ml

I was doing research into clomiphene (clomid) which I asked the Dr. to prescribe and he did- at a dose of 50mg a day!

I resumed using the clomiphene, but at 25mg a day, and went back on the CPAP. My workouts were still terrible, and I continued to have sleeping problems. This time, my sleep has shifted. I go to bed at about 10pm, and wake up at 4:30 constantly. Obviously, this is less than ideal.

I got tested this past weekend;

Total T - 736 ng/dl
SHBG 48.4 nmol/l (10 - 60)
Free T - 134 pg/ml (90 - 300)
E2 22.2 pg/ml
LH 3.74 mIU/ml
FSH 3.08 mIU/ml

The levels are much better I think, just by looking at the blood test, but I don't FEEL any better. It is strange- but I have the feeling I haven't improved. My workouts are still pitiful, and to make matters worse, I can still get nights of insomnia where I wake up at 2:30 am and cant go to sleep - even with medication.

I dont know if anyone has the answers, but maybe this will help someone else out? (Even if it is just to feel better about being able to sleep soundly and recover from their workouts without all the drama...)