CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
Edward Miles Hughes

Profile:
Tendinitis from Elbow to Shoulder

After doing bench press or ring dips or clean/snatches for any amount of volume my left arm feels like it is going to fall off. Tendinitis starts on the inside of the elbow and goes all the way through the bicep. Even squats tend to agitate it because I squeeze the bar pretty tight to maintain tension throughout the lift. Any help on relieving this would be greatly appreciated.

Two weeks ago I was on vacation and took the entire week off. Came back and the pain has just slowly snowballed. I had the exact same issue in January and it sidelined me for the entire month minus squatting.

I've had massages, tried to take a lacrosse ball to my upper back, etc. but nothing has seemed to help. I take roughly 8g of fish oil per day, as well as creatine and vitamin D. I don't really want to cover this up with anti-inflammatory medication, but at this point I'm willing to do pretty much anything.

I CrossFit 4-5 days per week, but my box does a lot of strength work and olympic lift focus so our wods are generally b/t 5 and 10 min long so I'm not doing any 30min chippers or anything.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice
Old 04-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Tendinitis from Elbow to Shoulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Miles Hughes View Post
After doing bench press or ring dips or clean/snatches for any amount of volume my left arm feels like it is going to fall off. Tendinitis starts on the inside of the elbow and goes all the way through the bicep. Even squats tend to agitate it because I squeeze the bar pretty tight to maintain tension throughout the lift. Any help on relieving this would be greatly appreciated.

Two weeks ago I was on vacation and took the entire week off. Came back and the pain has just slowly snowballed. I had the exact same issue in January and it sidelined me for the entire month minus squatting.

I've had massages, tried to take a lacrosse ball to my upper back, etc. but nothing has seemed to help. I take roughly 8g of fish oil per day, as well as creatine and vitamin D. I don't really want to cover this up with anti-inflammatory medication, but at this point I'm willing to do pretty much anything.

I CrossFit 4-5 days per week, but my box does a lot of strength work and olympic lift focus so our wods are generally b/t 5 and 10 min long so I'm not doing any 30min chippers or anything.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice
Unfortunately two weeks or 1 month may not be long enough if it is a chronic tendonitis or golfer's elobow n the inner side of your elbow, go to www.orthopedicsne.com to see stretches for it. Sean
Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

Loosen up your biceps and forearm flexors are the main ones.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Kelly Lamb

Profile:

Dealing with something similar - diagnosed as severe triceps tendinitis by the Doc. Sustained from 12.3. Have been unable to do any upper body exercise since (5-6 weeks now) and still feeling quite a bit of pain and weakness. So, I agree with 2 weeks or a month may not cut it. I've been doing tons of ice and PT without much success. Your injury does not sound quite as bad, so maybe you should see a doc to get a script for PT. That may help speed your recovery.

Would love to hear stories from anyone else with a similar injury, including recovery time, recovery methods, etc. The fact that I'm not improving at all, despite no upper body work, makes me feel like I need to push the PTs and Doc to try something else for me...I just don't know what to ask for (I asked for ART and doc refused saying I still have too much inflammation). My quality of life has been impacted and I'm started to get very depressed. Don't need to lift, but would like to be able to participate in triathlons and adventure races this summer.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Sebastian B. Vaneria

Profile:

Steven's link, above, has a comprehensive discussion on this subject. Personally, I've found this issue to be a two-step process. First, you must manage the tendonitis. Second, you must correct whichever positional flaw(s) was/were causing the injury.

My arm tendonitis (elbow/bicep/shoulder) was caused by poor external rotation in the shoulder and too many pulling exercises. Anything involving the front rack position would cause the tendonitis to flare up. I attacked the pain by doing three things: (1) rest; (2) ice massage; and (3) deep tissue massage. That the management part. Then, once the pain was managed, I began to correct the positional flaws. For me, this meants a ton of lacrosse ball work on the lats, tricep, and thoracic spine, and a ton of MobilityWOD stuff with bands and to improve my front rack position. I reintroduced front rack movements once my positioning in that movement had improved. No more tendonitis.

I still get a little "hot" when I try to do too much rack position (press, cleans, thrusters, front squats, etc.) the day after a lot of upper body work. For example, if I do lots of pressing exercises and pulling exercises, my lats and triceps become tight. I find that it takes extra mobility work the next day in order to prepare my body for the rack position. So long as I take the extra time to warm up, the tendontis stays away.

Rest, ice, and deep tissue work should get anyone headed in the right direction.