CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Paul Droubay

Profile:
1-Year Strength Gains - A Beginner's Result

It's been about a year since I first posted here. From that first post, I learned that I really needed to get strong. So I spent the first 4 months doing '70s Big and then the last 8 months doing GSLP. I've been somewhat inconsistent looking at my logs - with occasional illness/injuries and frequent form corrections. I don't know if these results are typical for my age, but here are the results:

Weight: 153 --> 185 (height is 5'10")

Bench (1RM): 165 ---> 225 lbs
Press (1RM): 100 ---> 145 lbs
Squat (1RM): 185 ---> 320 lbs
Deadlift (1RM): 295 ---> 405 lbs

As of today, the lifts are still going up - haven't really reached a plateau except on the press. I've reset multiple times on all the lifts. I haven't been doing much conditioning work, so there's some big room for improvement there. On the plus side, my shirts don't fit across the chest/neck and my pants don't fit in the thighs.

It's enough progress to keep me motivated and wanting to continue. Only now I want to focus on getting my conditioning back up and moving my bench press up some more. To do that, my plan is to start doing FM pushups/pullups and start working in some hill sprints on off days. I can't help but wonder what the results would be if I was perhaps more consistent over the past year with diet and frequency.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
James Orr

Profile:
Re: 1-Year Strength Gains - A Beginner's Result

Those are definitely good gains, especially with your squat. I'd think you'd have more in your bench and press after a year though. Are you sure those were your maxes? Last time I maxed, my coach said, "That looked easy! You have more!"

When you say you had issues with frequency, what was your longest break?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Paul Droubay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
Those are definitely good gains, especially with your squat. I'd think you'd have more in your bench and press after a year though. Are you sure those were your maxes? Last time I maxed, my coach said, "That looked easy! You have more!"

When you say you had issues with frequency, what was your longest break?
Yes, I had some difficulty on the bench and press - especially the press. Actually for the past 3-4 months I've been doing incline bench instead of flat to to try to address my shoulder and upper body weaknesses (long arms, short torso). For the press, those are very close to my true maxes -- it's my weakest lift. The bench maxes may be off and I think I still have some more left in the tank. Since I lift alone and without a coach (lifting in power rack), I tend to be conservative on benching effort.

The longest break from all lifting was about 2 to 2.5 weeks around Christmas. I went without deadlifting for a month back in November, and there were a few 1-2 week breaks for the other lifts here and there throughout the year.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Good gains! No offense, could have been a little better with consistency.

So whats the plan from here moving forward?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Paul Droubay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Traeger View Post
Good gains! No offense, could have been a little better with consistency.

So whats the plan from here moving forward?
Plan is to stick with GSLP and keep gaining, but add in FM pushups. Of course, I need to work on being more consistent, too (no offense taken).

I also want to find some way to incorporate some conditioning work. I've got a long, steep hill outside my house, so I'm planning on adding hill sprints 1-2x per week.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Dave Traeger

Profile:

If you're running a Monday Wednesday Friday GSLP split, best time for hillsprints and / or conditioning is after Wednesdays workout and on Saturday. Leave Sunday for recovery.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Craig Horstman

Profile:

not to advocate spending more money, but have you looked into the greyskull conditioning books? i suckered my workout partner into buying it just to see what was in it and they're actually not too bad.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Droubay View Post
Plan is to stick with GSLP and keep gaining, but add in FM pushups. Of course, I need to work on being more consistent, too (no offense taken).

I also want to find some way to incorporate some conditioning work. I've got a long, steep hill outside my house, so I'm planning on adding hill sprints 1-2x per week.
Make sure you do them. Looking through the SV forums, people have said that adding FM Pushups helped their bench and (probably) press numbers.

Awesome progress, keep it up!