CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
Emily Steeves

Profile:
Exclamation Hip

Hey all - I'm hoping I can get a little insight from some internet friends here. I've been an avid Crossfitter since about September and have made a huge amount of gains in that time. Every time I do a lift, I hit a new P.R. have crossed over to using no bands for my pull ups, and have cut some of my times in half. I've been doing great and it makes me feel great. I've also made some huge esthetic gains, and despite struggling with my weight, and yo-yoing my entire life, I've earned a great body.

I am now injured and don't really know what to do. I noticed in the last few months that during certain movements (I noticed it first while I was sweeping and mopping) that my right hip hurt. Like it was being stressed. Then, the other morning when I woke up after a workout that included some heavy dead lifts the day before, it really hurt. Since then (about two weeks ago), it has gotten progressively worse. I did a workout yesterday (nothing that should have been particularly straining on my hip) and I couldn't even put my socks on this morning. It seems like once I can get it loosened up, and moving it isn't so bad, but once it cools down it's only worse than it was before. I'm scared to continue to do my WODs as I fear I may not be able to get out of bed the next morning.

I always adopted the policy that exercise is good for sore muscles, but it doesn't seem to be working in this case. I'm in a large amount of pain, and am getting to the point that my daily activities are hard to do. What the heck is going on?! Should I see my doctor? Could there be some kind of serious damage in there? Should I try a massage? Has anyone else had a similar injury? I gain weight very easily and I'm terrified of taking time off from Crossfit. I also don't want to lose what gains I've made due to taking time off.

I would love any and all feedback available. Sorry for the long text.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Hip

If you want a real diagnosis, see an orthopedic doc.

If you want a guess by myself, we can do that..

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts. Tell me what tissue(s) it feels like it's hurting in, or if it's more superficial or deep in the joint?

2. What exercises hurt? Which hip articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion (you moving the leg without it moving itself) and resistive/active motion (you moving it, and you moving it against force). Also tell me when and what movements during these exercises are eliciting the pain?
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Hip.html

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~8+ weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

7. What have you been doing for recovery purposes? Do these recovery methods help?

8. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?

9. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

10. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?

11. Any previous injury history?

12. How's your posture?

13. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?

14. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Emily Steeves

Profile:

Thanks for your response. I'll answer all your questions below in red. I really appreciate your help and input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If you want a real diagnosis, see an orthopedic doc.

If you want a guess by myself, we can do that..

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts. Tell me what tissue(s) it feels like it's hurting in, or if it's more superficial or deep in the joint? http://i.imgur.com/ev9vp.jpg

2. What exercises hurt? Which hip articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion (you moving the leg without it moving itself) and resistive/active motion (you moving it, and you moving it against force). Also tell me when and what movements during these exercises are eliciting the pain?
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Hip.html of those movement, I think the the most accurate is extension. This morning I sat on the floor and tried to put my socks on and almost cried. It also causes a lot of pain when I stand on my right foot, and bend to put my boot on my left foot. It also hurts a lot to do movements in which I am bending to my left and reaching.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp? It is a sharp pain when I perform these movements. I also find that it aches when I sit up right, and have to bend at the hip, like when I'm sitting in my office chair, or driving my car.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room. When I'm just sitting it's only a 2. At it's worst I'd say a 7.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~8+ weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury? It's chronic. It's progressively gotten worse over the last.....3 months?

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long? I have been yes. Until today. I did a work out yesterday (Monday) and found that the pain was significantly worse this morning and thought it best to take some time off.

7. What have you been doing for recovery purposes? Do these recovery methods help? I've been stretching it, and heating it. It helps until I have been sedentary for a long period of time (like when I wake up from sleeping). Then it seems to go right back to square one or worse.

8. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities? Stretching it helps, but again, only until the muscle cools down. Any kind of bending movements aggravate it.

9. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling? As far as I can tell there is nothing out of the ordinary, but in all honesty I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

10. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day? It feels better after exercise, but then once the muscles cool down, it gets worse than it was before. Morning is the absolute worst, especially if I had a training session the day before.

11. Any previous injury history? Nope

12. How's your posture? Actually, it's really good. Though I find that the last couple of days I've been leaning back when I sit in my chair to relieve the pressure on the injury.

13. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports? Just Crossfit. I do all the same movements as every other Crossfitter including dead lifts, squats, cleans, etc. There is really is no particular routine.

14. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
That's all I can think of. I only know that I cannot pinpoint exactly when I started having problems and that it has gotten progressively worse since it started. It began is just a twinge, and is now a full blown injury that is keeping me from functioning. I think that is what worries me about it. If I had done something in particular to hurt myself I think it would be easier to find a way to make it better.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

I would suggest getting this checked out by a physical therapist or a chiro.

It seems like the "area" of injury is kind of diffuse and posterior which means it can either be a hip joint issue, or more likely from the feeling I'm getting is an SI joint issue especially since you are getting it while both sitting and bearing weight through it.

If your SI joint is out of place, it can mess up your mechanics and cause pain in all of those positions. PT or chiro can both mobilize/manipulate to put it back into place and if that's teh case you should hopefully be pain free and will be given some exercises to rehab it afterward.

Let me know what happens
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Emily Steeves

Profile:

I'm seeing both my doc and my chiro/massage therapist on Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.