CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Adam E Lewis

Profile:
Base workout program

My famiy and I have been doing crossfit since about Oct with great results. However at this stage in the program I find that I would like to kick things up a bit. I'm considering a home program of pushups, squats, situps, pull ups, and jump rope.

I would like to work up to 100 for each and 20 pull ups for time. Any suggestions on this route?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Graeme Moore

Profile:
Re: Base workout program

Try a 100 day challenge:

Day 1 - 1 push up, 1 squat, 1 situp, etc...
Day 2 - 2 push ups, 2 squats, ...
Day 100 - 100 push ups, 100 squats, ...

Pull ups may be a bit harder. Try greasing the groove/frequency method - 5 or 6 sets throughout the day of submaximal reps. E.g. if you can do 3 pull ups, do sets of 1 or 2 until you can beat your max. So then if you can knock out 6, do sets of 3 or 4 reps. I don't think I've explained that very well, I'm tired sorry!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

How would what you are proposing "kick things up a bit" vs. CrossFit published WODs?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Adam Fisk

Profile:

I mean no disrespect what-so-ever but "kick it up by incorporating pull ups push ups squats sit ups jump rope?" Those bodyweight exercises are some of the fundamentals of crossfit. I remember my first WOD, 3-2-1's. 3 squats, 2 push-ups, 1 pull-up for 10 rounds increasing each workout respectively by 3,2,1 each round.

If there is a struggle performing these exercises greasing the groove works excellent. Practice makes perfect

I would say get some KB's, a climbing rope if its realistic for you, parallettes (home-made pvc), 24" boxes, and any awkward heavy object to carry around.

My 2 pennies.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam E Lewis View Post
My famiy and I have been doing crossfit since about Oct with great results. However at this stage in the program I find that I would like to kick things up a bit. I'm considering a home program of pushups, squats, situps, pull ups, and jump rope.

I would like to work up to 100 for each and 20 pull ups for time. Any suggestions on this route?
i suggest if you are not already at a point that doing 100 of each and 20 pullups is easy, then you probably aren't at a point where you need to "kick it up" since that is much easier than many of the WOD as RX. keep working hard doing the WODs and get serious about diet.

what are your strength levels?

what are you goals?

what is you diet?

if you want to add this as extra work a few times a week, then fine, but please don't substitute this for the WOD
Old 02-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Adam E Lewis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
i suggest if you are not already at a point that doing 100 of each and 20 pullups is easy, then you probably aren't at a point where you need to "kick it up" since that is much easier than many of the WOD as RX. keep working hard doing the WODs and get serious about diet.

what are your strength levels?

what are you goals?

what is you diet?

if you want to add this as extra work a few times a week, then fine, but please don't substitute this for the WOD
I'm in pretty good shape with the wod and have made alot of progress. What I have found is that one of those core exercises tend to be in 90% of the WOD that we have been doing. Since those are constants I would like to ensure that those are all at very high conditioned levels.

As for diet I'm doing very well, I just completed the whole30 program. I lost 15lbs on it and have moved down to 16% body fat. I have nothing to complain about I just want to increase what I consider the base program components.