CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
Lacey Foley

Profile:
Red face Brand new to CF

I just checked out CF and I can't wait for the next work out.

My goals are to lose 25 pounds, do a pull up unassisted, and complete 20 push ups without stopping. I also want to gain strenth, better endurance for distance running, and a tougher mentality towards working out. I also just started reading about Paleo and decided to jump in.

I'm not sure what I've got myself into but I have a feeling it's going to produce a positive outcome. Any advice and encourgament would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Brand new to CF

Welcome!

Show up, don't quit!

If your working on your own research the progression to build up to things like your first pull up.

Our experience with Paleo is the stricter you are the greater the results. For example 90% compliance might get you 1 lbs. lose a week, 95% will get you 2 lbs. a week.

Read Rob Wolf's Paleo stuff. It is much more entertaining then Cordain's stuff.

Check out the blog nomnompaleo.com serious yummy food.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Lacey Foley

Profile:

Thanks for the reply and suggestions! I went to the grocery store lastnight and ended up wandering around unsure of what exactly to pick up. I think I need to research and compile a list of foods and then begin my journey at the store.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Google "robb wolf shopping list" and check out the first link that comes up.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Jon Wolfsthal

Profile:

congrats. Finding CF and paleo are some of the best workout and health things I have ever found. It can be intimidating at first, until you realize how easy it is. Eat real food. If it has ingredients or a label, avoid it. fruit, veggie, meat, fish- go for it. oh, and if it is white or a powder, don't eat it. That shoudl be enough to get started. Rob Wolf's shopping list is also great. There are a ton of recipe sites - and paleodogest.com is a good compiler.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

howdy and welcome.

slow and steady progress adds up in a hurry... be consistent and patient.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
Lacey Foley

Profile:

Today starts day number five on Paleo. It's becoming easier to me, although I've began to read/research so much and realize everyone does things a little bit differently. The only thing I'm confused about is bacon and sausage use. Suggestions?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Try to find some that don't have any gluten or nitrates or preservatives. Neither bacon nor sausage is the ideal protein source but they're not bad in reasonable doses. I chop up a piece of sausage in my omelet most mornings and have bacon about once or twice a week.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey Foley View Post
Today starts day number five on Paleo. It's becoming easier to me, although I've began to read/research so much and realize everyone does things a little bit differently. The only thing I'm confused about is bacon and sausage use. Suggestions?
i personally believe man has been smoking / drying / salting meat since the beginning of time... so in that sense i see no reason why not.

however, the question should never really be "is this ok to eat" but rather, "is the best to eat". don't have the attitude of walking the line, instead strive for the best you can do. eat the best food you can, not the worst food you are allowed. there will be plenty of times when life will cause you to stray without you adding in those times on purpose. of coursei realize that bacon and sausage are delicious so they are appealing. but waffles and pancakes are delicious too. sometimes we just have to choose. if you need a little yummy food though, there are far worse things than a little processed pork so go for it.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

It is all about the fat. Eating it.

For my clients with weight loss goals we look mainly to the leaner meats as protein sources.

After being on strict Paleo for maybe 4 months I hit the problem of getting too light (I only had maybe 15 pounds to knock off when I went Paleo). I had to intentionally start adding more fat back into my diet to try and maintain weight. Sausage and bacon are helpful for this.

I encourage my clients to work on balance in their approach to Paleo. If you only eat the super lean meats your not going to be very happy. So for example for every two meals containing things like turkey or fish have another meal that has some sausage, bacon or higher fat beef.

Robb Wolf talks about restoring the bodies signaling system for hungry by eating the correct foods. I have found this to be true. With out the sugar, processed foods and starches I feel full and stop eating sooner.