CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-19-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
James Rufer

Profile:
New to CF

Hello everyone.

I'm brand new to the CF scene. It's been a few years since I got myself into a workout routine but I'm ready to get into CF. I have a few friends that work in the fire service that have been doing CF for some time. They constantly talk about how much they enjoy the workouts and how the WOD keep them motivated to keep going.

I am 5'9 and weigh around 200lbs. For my height, I am overweight. I'm getting married next summer in June, so I'd like to get in better shape for my soon-to-be bride.

My goals: take my weight from 200lbs to roughly 175-180, lose fat/gain more muscle, and get stronger with more endurance.

I know these goals are a bit lofty, but I think CF is a good way for me to get there. I'm starting my first workout today when I get home from work.. so we'll see how I feel after that

Thank you!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: New to CF

Hi and welcome.

A year is a long time, you should definitely be able to hit your goals in that. There is no time to be complacent though!

You going to work out at an affiliate or at home?
Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
James Rufer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
You going to work out at an affiliate or at home?
Home.

I've been doing some research into local affiliates.. but at $90+ per month (for the least expensive packages at some gyms) I simply can't afford it. The local gyms sound awesome, and offer a ton of classes - but after bills everything extra goes to the wedding fund

One of my very good friends is working on building some of the equipment needed for some of the CF workouts. So my intention is to workout with him and the other firefighters in his department so that I have more access to equipment.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
James Rufer

Profile:

Well I can honestly say.. WOW!

I just finished my first workout that a friend sent me last night, and I'm worn out. He had me do 3 rounds for time of: run down the block and back, 30 air squats, and 15 push ups

I finished in around 17minutes. I did have to cheat the pushups a little bit (knees on the ground) and I had to catch my breath a few times during.. but I worked as hard as I could the whole time. WOW! My legs are on fire, lol, and I'm ready for bed. All that after working my 12 hour shift - I think I've earned some shut eye.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Charles Fey

Profile:

I strongly recommend at least getting a few foundations classes from the affiliate so you can receive some form instruction and learn the intensity expected. This is hard, and I don't know if I would have understood it for what it is on my own.

Welcome! CF is absolutely fabulous. It's best served competitively, too, in my book; try to get that friend to WOD with you so you're always pushing.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
James Rufer

Profile:

Thanks for the warm welcome so far! Charles-- the plan is to eventually knock out the WOD together between myself, my friend, and another firefighter who is a level 1 instructor.

But I will definitely take your advice into consideration - perhaps I will have to contract an affiliate and see if they have an intro course or something like what you are describing
Old 06-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
Charles Fey

Profile:

A lot of them do an eval + foundations package for pretty cheap, and I know some affiliates have used Groupon, Livingsocial, etc. As long as someone with experience is helping you learn form and really pushing you through the WODs I think you'll be fine.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Welcome James.

Nothing wrong with working at home with a couple of guys. You already have a Level I so I just encourage you to keep investing in continuing education for everyone.

The best $50 you can spend in my opinion is a CrossFit Journal subscription plus the Starting Strength DVD. I thought I knew the 5 major power lifts (squat, bench, press, dead lift and power clean) but after watching the DVD I think I learned something new about each lift.

Check out Glenn Pendlay's California Strength for some basics for getting started with the Oly lifts. Some where on his new website he has good videos of how they begin to teach the snatch at Cal Strength.

Weight gain and loss happens in the kitchen. Get Robb Wolf's book on the Paleo diet. I always recommend this diet first because a lot of my clients have issues with foods they regularly eat and don't even know it. After you have given Paleo an honest 90 day try your weight will be down and you will have enough experience to make adjustments if necessary.

You will have to think of a new goal for the last 7 or 8 months of the year. If you do CrossFit and Paleo you will knock off 25 pounds in 3 or 4 months. Just a matter of doing it.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:50 AM   #9
Jarrod Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
You will have to think of a new goal for the last 7 or 8 months of the year. If you do CrossFit and Paleo you will knock off 25 pounds in 3 or 4 months. Just a matter of doing it.
Was going to say this

I've been doing crossfit and paleo for a little over a month and am 15lbs down. All that while gaining muscle and feeling really damn good. Now, I have a lot further to go than you are, but yeah, new goal for the other 8 months for you
Old 06-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
Natalie Obando

Profile:
Talking Re: New to CF

Hi! I also recently started my CrossFit journey and have found that a great place for crossfit spam called SPAMLAND. It's pretty affordable and they also carry supplements. Good luck and hope you reach your goals.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 06-30-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: AUP Violations