CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-06-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Michael-

If this is a special need one can always do some specific training in the warm up. That said I am certain that the WOD as prescribed does build significant weighted pull-up strength. My last check was 2 x 140lbs. I NEVER had this strength when my specific training was weighted pullups.

I recommend giving the WOD a solid go for a month or two and then gauge its efficacy in weighted PU's.
Robb
Old 01-06-2005, 10:01 AM   #2
Jason C. Brown

Profile:
Can I just say that I'm amazed at how well people do with certain drills without working on them specifically. I would never be able to add 140lb onto my pullups without some very concentrated work. I don't doubt your experience, I just wish my body responded the same way.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Just a thought on the functionality of weighted pullups. I'd say that the real-life situations where you'd need to do a raw pullup without the use of any additional aid whatsoever, i.e. scrabbling your feet on the wall as you climb a ledge, are few and far between. Or should be.

I climb, often with a heavy rack and backpack, and in general if you are doing unaided pullups while climbing you're doing it wrong. It's all about keeping the arms straight while driving with the legs and using momentum.

Having said all that, I like sticking weights into the backpack and cranking pullups too. If nothing else, the shift in center of gravity changes things, and Change is Good. I'm looking forward to trying my full-body-dry-heave kipping pullups while clamping the DB between my feet. Should be interesting. Maybe I'll put some yellow police tape around the pullup bar for public safety.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
Michael Johnson

Profile:  
I'm glad to see weighted pull-ups being incorperated into the WOD. I know alot of police, fire, and military personnel use Crossfit and training bodyweight pull-ups all the time is not very functional when in the line of duty we carry an extra 10-60 pounds worth of gear. I hope to see more of it and some weighted dips too.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Weighted pull ups rock! Were I to work in a field that required me to carry many pounds of equipment, I would consider adding some weighted pull ups to my weekly WOD's. Better yet... weighted muscle-ups.

However, I also find it interesting that my weighted pull up capacity will increase when my non-weighted pull up numbers increase, without training weighted pull ups (other than to test how much weight I can pull).

I also notice that when my non-weighted Tabats squat scores went up, I was also able to lift more weight when testing my weighted squat capacity.

This is not to say that one never need to do weighted pull ups when striving to be able to hoist themselves with equipment, packs, etc. And there likely a limit to the effect I've noticed. That is, even if I can do 50 pull ups in one set, doesn't necessarily mean I can do a pull up with my girlfriend on my back (though I will try).

I'm just commenting that it is interesting that higher-rep (relatively) trianing can also help me to increase my lower-rep strength.

Cool.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jason-

Frankly I was surprised as well. One day a few months ago I just started adding weights to a climbing harnes knocking off singles and doubles. I stopped where I did because of how unwieldy the contraprion had become: 2pd kb, 1.5pd KB and a couple of 10lb plates. One of our clients commented that it looked like "elephantitis testicularis". Our clients are funny.
Robb
Old 01-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #7
Nic Nakis

Profile:
Dude, did you post the same exact thing in two forums?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:09 PM   #8
Michael Johnson

Profile:  
Brad,

You have an interesting response. I find just the opposite. Whenever I go off the weighted pull-ups for a while my pull-up strength drops significantly. On the flip side I mostly train weighted chin-ups and in the past worked up to being able to do sets of five with 70+ pounds, at a bodyweight of 200. On the times I've had to test my pull-up max for PT test I've never had any trouble doing over 20 dead hang pull-ups. I guess it comes down to different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:13 PM   #9
Michael Johnson

Profile:  
Nick,

I thought my first post didn't go through and I couldn't remember what forum I posted it on when I first sent it. Looking back I see it.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:13 PM   #10
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Maybe it is because I just started doing weighted pull ups, and I can't pull that much weight? If I get up to 70+ pounds, my response could change.

Or... it could be that other exercises done with the pull ups (WOD style) are contributing to my increases in weighted pull up ability?

Good information regardless, thanks!

Brad