CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-24-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
Karl Geissler

Profile:
I thought this posted this last night, but it looks like it did not load. I was just diagnosed with shingles (an adult reoccurence of the chicken pox) that is often associated with the nervous system and stress. First and foremost, I am laid up for a little bit, but I am still excited about Crossfit and cannot wait to get back. Secondly, I have learned another hard lesson on the proper rest and recovery. Funny enough that I had just taken a week of "light" loads, but that may not have been enough. I jumped right back in and pushed the past couple of weeks, but I have also had a great deal of stress associated with work. I may have multiplied things enough to push my body to the max.
Bottom line, recovery and rest are important. Recovery does include diet and loading.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:19 PM   #2
Joseph Hart

Profile:
I feel for you. My Dad had shingles and he was un-happy to say the least. I think there is a supplement that you can take to make it less crappy. Loose fitting clothes is key too. It seemed to bother him the most at places there was pressure, across his back where a chair touched it. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Been on the anti-viral for about a week, and the sores are clearing. Going to try the WOD tonight at reduced levels and see how it goes.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
H. Giovanni Salazar

Profile:
Karl, take it easy buddy. I know that it can last a bit longer if you tax the immune system too early even after antibiotics have been taken. Give it some time and you will see that you rebound better and without much recurrence or fear of recurrence.

take it lite,

Gio
Old 05-02-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Thanks my man, I am holding off hitting the full WODS. It has been good, because it is making me be creative and not just taking the posted WOD as my challenge for the day.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
Marc Moffett

Profile:
Karl, I am no expert so take what I say appropriately. Shingles is caused by the herpes simplex virus which lies dormant in the nerve root and erupts when the nerves get stressed. But the response is also, arguably, an autoimmune problem. I have both exercise induced asthma (also an autoimmune problem) and shingles (as well as "cold sores"). Since about two years ago when I started eating a fairly strict paleodiet I have had no problems on either count, and I have had some major league bouts of stress during that time period.

I don't know if you have gone that route or not, but if not it is worth considering.

Best of luck
Old 05-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Who knows, it is pretty wild to have "chicken pox" again as an adult. I do agree that the diet played a portion of the condition. I had been hitting the road a little bit because of work, and that does wreck havoc on the body.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
Craig Howard

Profile:
Carl,
I overcame reumatoid arthritis symptoms by consciously reducing stress and gradually introducing exercise. You might even consider a stress mgt class. I am amazed by the influence of stress on the immune system. Best of luck.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:10 AM   #9
John Velandra

Profile:
Karl G - have you ever tried light-therapy??? I seem to remember people that have used it for shingles???

Don't want to hijack thread....

Craig H - we just picked up a client with severe (yes I know it itself is severe) R.A. PLease email me as I'd love to get your input.

Good luck to everyone...
Old 05-04-2006, 11:18 AM   #10
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Craig-

I would like to politely disagree with you, in that the belief that some negative event in my life brought on this condition. "Stress" is an ambiguous term that in my limited opinion has been overused to blame things. Techincally, the biggest stress in my life was the crossfit WOD's, combined with some lapses in diet and working for a very successful (yet busy) employer. So if I am too reduce stress, it would have to be to give up on Crossfit, which in long term thought is not in the cards. I do appreciate the support

John-Thankfully enough, there has been little pain so far (some moments of discomfort). My lay-man's theory is that because living a lifestyle that includes high intensity training, my nervous system is able to buffer the amount of damage. So improving the diet, prayer, and getting back to working out has been the best prescription