CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-15-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
Tim Richardson

Profile:  
FYI, this is TimR from the WOD comments...

This question may seem a little ambiguous, but it has been something I have been thinking about for a while. I'll do my best to explain...

With just about all strength-development programs (i.e. those for football, bodybuilding, etc.) there are cycles which split the program up and culminate in a peak phase (for a football program, for instance, it may be a 9 week program that leads into a max-phase). With CrossFit, however, it doesn't seem like there are any cycles or any peak phases that we work up to. Now I am just guessing that this is because with such a program as CF, there really is no way to "peak", except to try and do better on a WOD the next time it comes around. My question: has anyone had experience breaking CF up into cycles, using CF along with a mesocycle, or is there any way to go about doing it? My idea is to do CF as rx'ed, but keep my lifts cycled so that I can plan them into a peak phase that will coincide with the throwing season. If anyone has experience with this or can offer some input, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

(Message edited by Tim_richardson on October 15, 2005)
Old 10-16-2005, 10:23 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Tim-

It sounds good, the imposed variety in the lifting is a good thing. Peaking CF style usually entails taking time off, tapering prior to an event.

So if one grafted a Bulgarian approach to weightlifting (heavy and frequent...relative ot ones abilities and goals, see www.mikesgym.org for examples) onto a GPP CF program one would simply taper in the last week prior to competition to be ready for action.

I'm interested to hear others thoguhts on this.

Robb
Old 10-18-2005, 07:24 AM   #3
Mike Burgener

Profile:
as the world championships get closer (i leave for doha, qatar nov 5th) the athletes going are on a very strict peaking program. snatch, heavy singles, cln and jerk, heavy singles, sqt, heavy doubles and singles....not much more....lots of rest. calculate the total load (wts x reps x sets) and you will see that the actual load lifted is much less than when performing lots of reps and sets at even 70%-85% load. i find that my athletes during these phases can recover much quicker than when doing heavy gpp and volume training.