CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Dave Stergar

Profile:
Ideas for no equipment group exercises

I am asking for some suggestions. I would like to call myself an active Crossfitter, and I also teach a couple of fitness classes at a local gym (Boot Camp and Sports Conditioning) Our town does not have a CF gym. I like to incorporate as many CF exercises as I can into my classes, and I would really like to have several different "circuits" I could use. I see that the military uses CF in some of their group PT- not sure if they use any equipment or not, examples of some of their workouts would be cool. I would also like to know what some of your thoughts are on this topic. Some of our workouts are conducted at a small college campus and we have access to about 6 flights of stairs, some areas where we can do some reverse pushups (pulls) and some places where we can do step ups or box jumps, as an example today: run to the top of the stairs, on the way down after the top flight, do 5 pushups, run about 50 m then do 5 pulls, and 5 dips, run down some more steps and do 10 step ups and 5 more dips run about 100m then lunge walk about 20m, complete 5 burpees, then repeat. At times we meet at a local HS track too.

Thanks for any help!
Dave
Old 04-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Kevin McMahon

Profile:
Re: Ideas for no equipment group exercises

One good crossfit exercise that i can think of that you can do as groups without equipment is handstand pushups. partners holding onto feet and or just using the walls.

Im sure theres plenty more but thats just what a complete amatuer can think of at the moment.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Search for Eva T's workouts. Lots of running, pushups, situps, air squats, burpees, handstands, walking lunges, in many combinations.

Example: 10 pushups, 10 situps, 10 squats, as many rounds as possible in 10, 15, or 20 minutes.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
Gregory L. Johnson

Profile:

Check out this thread

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=21576
Old 04-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Robert Pierce

Profile:

We don't have an affiliate within 1.5 hours of us. Our group of 6-10 works out at the YMCA with limited equipment. We have one pullup bar and one set of rings I bring from home. Here are a few ideas we have done. Some are from the Eva T site. Maybe you can modify for your space or track:

Do the combination of exercises down the length of the basketball court, run back, each pair 4x through.

Broad Jump/Walking Lunges
Spiderman PU/Triple Jump
Broad Jump Burpee/Bear Crawl
Crabcrawl Pushup/Backwards Jump
Side Bear Crawl/Backwards Run

From Eva T, slightly modified: Run 1 mile, stopping to do 20 walking lunges and 20 mountain climbers every 1 minute. (this one is really tough)

400m run
100 situps
400m run
50 pushups
400m run
100 squats
400m run
50 jump pullups

2x through

1/12 mile track
Lunges
Broad Jumps
Triple Jumps
Bear Crawl
Exercise one straightaway, run the remainder

AMRAP in 10 or 15 or 20 minutes

400m run
50 squats

4 x through for time

The stairs give you all kinds of options...Hops, one foot hops, two- or three-at-a-time, bear crawls up and down, bear crawls backwards up and down...we have tires and we do stair runs holding a tire overhead...also there are an infinite number of burpee varieties to mix it up...broad jump burpees, box jump burpees, jump pullup burpees. I have found that G&S squats are good for helping folks with flexibility and form. Burger flips are popular. Various planks.

I try to mix it up, going from workouts where the whole thing is done "for time" to workouts were we do a set exercise on an interval (10 burpees and 1 suicide every 2 minutes x 10) to very short intervals like Tabatas.

HTH
Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Michael Thornton

Profile:

Ross has a great book dedicated to bodyweight exercises. His stuff is top notch.

http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html (wfs)