CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 10-20-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Countdown to UFC 77

I watched the countdown to UFC 77 yesterday and got pretty excited about the fights. I'm rooting for Anderson Silva against Rich Franklin, after seein Rich's BB training schedule I must say I was shocked. Unbelievable. I wouldn't mind seeing Vera beat Silvia as well, his stand up looks pretty neat right now.

Props to Silvia for his training though! he included KBs, tire flips, sledgehammeer, clubbells, sleds the whack. Form wasn't the best but hey atleast he wasn't doing 6 inch bench and press-ups! Oh sorry yeah he was!

Who are you guys rooting for and does anybody know if Randy is going to be staying with UFC or whether he has really gone?
Old 10-20-2007, 04:23 AM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Countdown to UFC 77

Franklin is my man. He's too smart to have been diddling around without a strategy for the rematch.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:

Randy's gone for now. He's retired once before, though, so who knows.

Franklin and Vera are takin' it home tonight.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

I'm cheering for the local boy..Brandon Vera. Also, I'll take Silva over Franklin.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Tom Brose

Profile:

I like Franklin enough, but he needs more than a strategy.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #6
Becca Borawski

Profile:

I'm rooting for Anderson Silva!

Also, Randy referred to his departure from UFC as "resigning" not "retiring" - so he's probably got something up his sleeve. From the various interviews that have come out since, though, he's in for a heck of a legal battle with Zuffa if/when he does try something.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 10-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Anderson Silva TKO's Franklin! Woohoo!

Thank god there was one good fight on the card. Up until Silva vs. Franklin this was a seriously dull show.

When they do these regional shows, sometimes the UFC feels more like King of the Cage to me than a real UFC -- the undercard gets stocked with local B-level fighters and the only decent matches are the 1 or 2 headline matches.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 10-21-2007, 04:00 AM   #8
Jay Hanewinkel

Profile:

I wonder if the Vera-Sylvia fight would have been better had Vera not broken his hand in the first round. When they cut the tape off it was clearly painful and clearly swollen. Still I had Vera winning the first two rounds. I thought he won the fight. I do think he needs to build some strength and could use more muscle mass to compete with the bigger HWTs.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #9
Nathanial Neal

Profile:

Wow what fight were you watching no way Vera won that fight. It could be argued Tim won all 3 rounds. He controlled him in the 1st and 3rd rounds and 2/3 of the 2nd. The only dam he did in the first was the haymaker. The second was the takedown he did nothing in his side guard but sit on him. As for the last 13 secs of round 2 it did not hold much weight to me it was a flurry to steal the round.

Now Tim controled the octagon the entire fight and peppered him with short punches knees and elbows. Had it been any other fighter then Tim no dought everyone would see it this way. I do not even like the guy because he is boring as of lately but he put on a very good dirty boxing clinic. Just like the one put on him ,looks like he took so stuff from Randys bag.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:33 PM   #10
Jay Hanewinkel

Profile:

Time mostly just pushed him against the fence, besides the third round Vera got the better of most if not all of the exchanges on the outside and was just as active if not more in the clinche. I'll have to watch it again, though, as there have been fights that I have changed my mind upon rewatching, but as of right now I'd say Vera won rounds 1 and 2, Sylvia won round 3. Other than that I would say a draw. Sylvia played it safe, just as Pat Militech told him to do between rounds. Sylvia has a history of lackluster performances. Vera has a history of quick finishes and he fought totally differently in this fight than in his others. I'm inclined to believe that the broken hand effected his performance greatly and he had ring rust. The size difference didn't help either.