CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #21
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Re: Ufc 76

I would never say any fighter I don't personally know isn't for sure using or not using. And even then, you never know what someone does behind closed doors. More people do it than you think. People are using it on an amateur level, much less when they reach places like the UFC. It's like what Coach Glassman has said about Olympic athletes. Competitive athletes have to stay competitive.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 09-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #22
Nathanial Neal

Profile:

I was actually making a comment that Pride did not test, except for the last few shows in the US. Does that mean that using any type of drug was wrong no. If they were not testing then why does it matter. Everyone of the fighters could use.

I for one think that it has a lot to do with it. The problem is that when people see the drug side of it they only think of steroids. There is plenty of other banned substances that the commissions test for. They can take things to null the pain, fatigue, and adrenalin spiked drinks in between rounds.

I also find it hard to believe that a fighter at the top level can be in shape for a fight not less then 6 months ago is that winded in the first round case in point both Rue brothers. It is not like these guys forgot how to train for a fight all of the sudden.

Now I am not taking anything away from the fighters here. I think it was a wonderful display of a smarter fighter against a better fighter for Forrests win. He won that fight because of one reason he was the smarter fighter. He ran Shogun around the ring until he was to tired to resit the submission. He kept the pressure on him and both fighters were tired towards the end problem was Forrest trained to do that.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #23
Peter Queen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob shin View Post
I think Forest Griffin is on his way up. He was on his game and he showed how good he can be. I would like him to fight Rampage and destroy him.

shin
What, Griffin beating Rampage!

Ha, when all else fails in life, it's always nice to still have your dreams.

Speaking of Ex-Pride fighters trying to adjust to the UFC, I am still suprised that Cro Cop lost again.
I really like Cheick Kongo, but I would not have expected him to pull out that win over Cro Cop, expecially a unaminous one.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:59 PM   #24
Danny Spafford

Profile:

he we all know griffin would give rampage a run for his money

or literally die trying
Old 09-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #25
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
I would never say any fighter I don't personally know isn't for sure using or not using. And even then, you never know what someone does behind closed doors. More people do it than you think. People are using it on an amateur level, much less when they reach places like the UFC. It's like what Coach Glassman has said about Olympic athletes. Competitive athletes have to stay competitive.
I saw an ad for the new Disney movie with Duane "The Rock" Johnson. Am I the only one that has noticed he looks about 30 lbs lighter? Of course it could be Hollywood and he felt the need to slim down now that he doesn't do pro wrestling anymore, but sadly enough - I wondered just that.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #26
Brad Davis

Profile:

[quote=George Mounce;197737]I saw an ad for the new Disney movie with Duane "The Rock" Johnson. Am I the only one that has noticed he looks about 30 lbs lighter? ...[quote]

You're not the only one. I saw and thought the same thing.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:29 AM   #27
Timothy Cox

Profile:

He definitely is lighter. I think you get more diverse roles in Hollywood when you're slimmed down.

It made me laugh because the old Rock would play linebacker or defensive end in a movie role. Now they have him at quarterback.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:49 AM   #28
Becca Borawski

Profile:

UFC Payscale released --

(from http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...4774&zoneid=13 -- work/family safe, MMA news site)

MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS

-Chuck Liddell: $500,000 (19th fight in UFC; lost to Keith Jardine; win bonus would have been $0)

-Keith Jardine: $14,000 (7th fight in UFC; defeated Chuck Liddell; includes win bonus of $7,000)

MAIN CARD FIGHTERS

-Mauricio Rua: $150,000 (1st fight in UFC; lost to Forrest Griffin; win bonus would have been $50,000)

-Lyoto Machida: $50,000 (3rd fight in UFC; defeated Kazuhiro Nakamura; includes win bonus of $25,000)

-Forrest Griffin: $44,000 (8th fight in UFC; defeated Mauricio Rua; includes win bonus of $22,000)

-Jon Fitch: $44,000 (7th fight in UFC; defeated Diego Sanchez; includes win bonus of $22,000)

-Tyson Griffin: $24,000 (4th fight in UFC; defeated Thiago Tavares; includes win bonus of $12,000)

-Diego Sanchez: $22,000 (8th fight in UFC; lost to Jon Fitch; win bonus would have been $22,000)

-Kazuhiro Nakamura: $20,000 (1st fight in UFC; lost to Lyoto Machida; win bonus would have been $6,000)

-Thiago Tavares: $9,000 (3rd fight in UFC; lost to Tyson Griffin; win bonus would have been $9,000)

PRELIMINARY MATCH FIGHTERS

-Rich Clementi: $24,000 (5th fight in UFC; defeated Anthony Johnson; includes win bonus of $12,000)

-Matt Wiman: $16,000 (3rd fight in UFC; defeated Michihiro Omigawa; includes win bonus of $8,000)

-Christian Wellisch: $14,000 (3rd fight in UFC; defeated Scott Junk; includes win bonus of $7,000)

-Jeremy Stephens: $6,000 (2nd fight in UFC; defeated Diego Saraiva; includes win bonus of $3,000)

-Michihiro Omigawa: $5,000 (1st fight in UFC; lost to Matt Wiman; win bonus would have been $5,000)

-Anthony Johnson: $5,000 (2nd fight in UFC; lost to Rich Clementi; win bonus would have been $5,000)

-Scott Junk: $4,000 (1st fight in UFC; lost to Christian Wellisch; win bonus would have been $4,000)

-Diego Saraiva: $3,000 (3rd fight in UFC; lost to Jeremy Stephens; win bonus would have been $3,000)

DISCLOSED FIGHTER PAYROLL: $954,000

Old 09-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #29
John Bickel

Profile:

$7k for a main event fighter??? (Excluding win bonus).

It appears that Keith did not understand his role in this fight....
Old 09-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #30
Becca Borawski

Profile:

More likely that Keith is stuck in a crappy contract. All the fighters that go on TUF sign a contract before the show even films - they are signed exclusively to the UFC for a period of a few years, unless the UFC chooses to release them.