CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
George Mounce
Banned for Ethical and Integrity Violations George Mounce is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Steens  MS
Posts: 3,295
Re: 'Disenchanted' Couture resigns from UFC

Could it be Dana's supposed middle name? If you feel disenchanted with someone, fine, but I'm not sure here is the place to rant about it. Many a post in the past ended up in the bucket for the same reason. Don't like Dana White? Don't support the UFC. But don't call the man a prick and a slave driver just because you don't like him. Last I checked he isn't losing any money and he's laughing his way to the bank. Thats a whole heck of a lot more then most of the people here. He helped to make MMA what it is today.

I'm not trying to defend Dana White or his business practices, but name calling is pretty childish.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
Celio Silva
Member Celio Silva is offline
 
Celio Silva's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Folsom  CA
Posts: 627
Re: 'Disenchanted' Couture resigns from UFC

Just found this on fight network:

RESIGNATION


By Jack Encarnacao

It is quite a twist that the UFC has fought tooth-and-nail the last seven years to attract mainstream media attention, yet one of the biggest frenzies to date is centered on losing one of its top stars.

In an unexpected move, Randy Couture resigned from all professional association with the promotion yesterday, which included two contracted fights, an on-camera analyst’s position, and his heavyweight crown.

UFC president Dana White tagged Couture’s decision a “retirement,” citing the 44-year-old’s departure from the sport in 2006 before returning in March 2007 to reclaim the heavyweight title from lumbering 6-foot-8, 265-pound Tim Sylvia.

“It’s not a retirement,” said Couture Friday, who also works as on-air analyst and ambassador for The Fight Network. “It’s a resignation from the UFC organization.”

Couture would not elaborate on his future plans, though he's currently on the movie set for “The Scorpion King – Rise of the Akkadian” in South Africa, of which he has a lead role. Tucked away from the Internet uproar, the soft-spoken fighter seemed unaware of the commotion his defection has caused. “You know I’m not much for talking,” he said. “I let my actions speak louder.”

The news of Couture’s move has created a flurry of analysis and questions in the MMA community, and has made a splash in the larger sports media. ESPN, Sports Illustrated, MSN, the Associated Press and Yahoo! all treated the move as a top story on their websites Thursday alongside major league baseball playoff stories coverage and the latest Britney Spears tidbits.

White, for one, has tried to downplay his promotion’s greatest exit to date.
“This is just another day in my life,” White told Yahoo! Sports Kevin Iole. “Believe me, as much as I would like to be promoting another Couture fight, it's not the news that is going to kill the UFC.”

The quintessential favorite and a figure credited with professionalizing mixed martial arts to the highest degree, Couture (16-8) is beloved in all circles, something that even the sometimes abrasive White understands.

“I’m sure Randy Couture and I are gonna be friends for a long time,” White said in an interview with UFC’s Thomas Gerbasi published on UFC.com. “Randy Couture is a guy who I’ve said publicly a million times and I’ll say publicly right now who I feel is one of the guys who helped us get here.”

White’s praise hasn’t extended to Couture’s confidantes though, which includes Couture’s agent Matt Walker, of the Los Angeles-based Gersh Agency.

“He hooked up with some Hollywood agent that I ***** slapped about a month ago, and these Hollywood agents are parasites, so unfortunately this guy is probably in Randy’s ear right now,” White said. “Apparently Randy’s upset about something, and the timing of this thing is a typical Hollywood agent move while Randy’s out of town.”

Couture says White’s reaction is typical of the problematic attitude the athlete shunned yesterday.

"He doesn't respect anybody unless he controls them," said Couture. "Disrespecting my agent Matt is insulting to me because it says I'm not intelligent enough to make a decision on my own or surround myself with quality people. It's all about respect, something they've never given me or anyone representing me."

Couture has had superlatives heaped on him since May 1997, when he first stepped into the Octagon an unknown wrestler four times shy in his bid to reach the Olympics. Defying the odds became his specialty. In 2003, at the age of 40, he dropped to light heavyweight and toppled Chuck Liddell in what was at the time one of the bigger upsets in the company’s history.

His fight against Sylvia in March drew the largest paying live crowd yet to see mixed martial arts in the United States, and the prospect of the 44-year-old battling mother nature and the odds in title defenses to come almost guaranteed lucrative pay-per-view cards.

For such a commodity any fight promotion would clamor to acquire, White told Yahoo’s Iole he never said no to anything Couture wanted to do. Couture doesn’t agree.

“If he had given me everything I wanted, we wouldn’t be where we are today, now would we?”

POSTED -- 10/12/07
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:27 PM   #13
Celio Silva
Member Celio Silva is offline
 
Celio Silva's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Folsom  CA
Posts: 627
Re: 'Disenchanted' Couture resigns from UFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Could it be Dana's supposed middle name? If you feel disenchanted with someone, fine, but I'm not sure here is the place to rant about it. Many a post in the past ended up in the bucket for the same reason. Don't like Dana White? Don't support the UFC. But don't call the man a prick and a slave driver just because you don't like him. Last I checked he isn't losing any money and he's laughing his way to the bank. Thats a whole heck of a lot more then most of the people here. He helped to make MMA what it is today.

I'm not trying to defend Dana White or his business practices, but name calling is pretty childish.
Just missed your post as I posted mine.

You write as if my entire post was a rant. Except for his "...middle name..." calling, my post was objective.

Calling him a slave driver is not based on my dislike for him but based on his businness practices.

So look back at your own posts before regulating others. We all express ourselves in less-than-ideal ways sometimes. The problem arises when those times are repetitive and innappropriate.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #14
Celio Silva
Member Celio Silva is offline
 
Celio Silva's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Folsom  CA
Posts: 627
Re: 'Disenchanted' Couture resigns from UFC

by Michael David Smith

Imagine if, in October of 1993, Michael Jordan had said he was retiring from the NBA not just because he had nothing left to prove in basketball, but because he was sick of the lack of respect that Commissioner David Stern had shown him. And then imagine if Stern had responded by saying Jordan was retiring because of his "scumbag agent," whom Stern claimed he had "***** slapped."

If that had happened, there would have been a whole lot of people saying it was time for Stern to go. Sports leagues are big businesses. The heads of big businesses aren't supposed to drive valued employees away, and they're supposed to conduct themselves with some decorum.

But that's exactly what has happened in the UFC this week. Its best and most popular fighter, Randy Couture, has retired, and he cited his belief that UFC President Dana White takes advantage of him. White responded by calling Couture's agent a "scumbag" and saying he had "*****-slapped" him.

White has been great for UFC and the sport of mixed martial arts. In fact, the sport of mixed martial arts literally might not even exist in the United States if it weren't for White, who saved it when legislators were calling it "human cockfighting" and threatening to make it illegal. But just as the kid who launches an internet start-up out of his parents' basement eventually needs to bring in an MBA if he really wants to turn it into a legitimate business, the sport of mixed martial arts might now need to push White aside.


That's not to say UFC can push White aside, because in many respects White is UFC. I guess it's technically possible that the Fertitta brothers, the co-owners of UFC, could force White out, but that's not going to happen.

But maybe another mixed martial arts organization needs to hire a commissioner in the David Stern / Roger Goodell mode, someone who's a businessman and a marketer, someone who understands how the head of a sports league needs to conduct himself. Someone who can attract the best mixed martial arts talent, pay the fighters a fair wage while still running a profitable enterprise, and not infuriate the talent.

Randy Couture is the best thing going in the sport of mixed martial arts, a guy who's smart, articulate, great at what he does and doing something absolutely extraordinary, stepping into the Octagon at the age of 44 and beating guys who are 20 years younger than him. If Dana White has driven Couture out of the sport, then Dana White is bad for the sport.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:04 AM   #15
George Mounce
Banned for Ethical and Integrity Violations George Mounce is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Steens  MS
Posts: 3,295
Re: 'Disenchanted' Couture resigns from UFC

You win, this is obviously an emotional argument for you, and we've had enough of those in other threads lately.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #16
Adam Noble
Affiliate Adam Noble is offline
 
Adam Noble's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles  CA
Posts: 420
Re: 'Disenchanted' Couture resigns from UFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
by Michael David Smith

Imagine if, in October of 1993, Michael Jordan had said he was retiring from the NBA not just because he had nothing left to prove in basketball, but because he was sick of the lack of respect that Commissioner David Stern had shown him. And then imagine if Stern had responded by saying Jordan was retiring because of his "scumbag agent," whom Stern claimed he had "***** slapped."

If that had happened, there would have been a whole lot of people saying it was time for Stern to go. Sports leagues are big businesses. The heads of big businesses aren't supposed to drive valued employees away, and they're supposed to conduct themselves with some decorum.

But that's exactly what has happened in the UFC this week. Its best and most popular fighter, Randy Couture, has retired, and he cited his belief that UFC President Dana White takes advantage of him. White responded by calling Couture's agent a "scumbag" and saying he had "*****-slapped" him.

White has been great for UFC and the sport of mixed martial arts. In fact, the sport of mixed martial arts literally might not even exist in the United States if it weren't for White, who saved it when legislators were calling it "human cockfighting" and threatening to make it illegal. But just as the kid who launches an internet start-up out of his parents' basement eventually needs to bring in an MBA if he really wants to turn it into a legitimate business, the sport of mixed martial arts might now need to push White aside.


That's not to say UFC can push White aside, because in many respects White is UFC. I guess it's technically possible that the Fertitta brothers, the co-owners of UFC, could force White out, but that's not going to happen.

But maybe another mixed martial arts organization needs to hire a commissioner in the David Stern / Roger Goodell mode, someone who's a businessman and a marketer, someone who understands how the head of a sports league needs to conduct himself. Someone who can attract the best mixed martial arts talent, pay the fighters a fair wage while still running a profitable enterprise, and not infuriate the talent.

Randy Couture is the best thing going in the sport of mixed martial arts, a guy who's smart, articulate, great at what he does and doing something absolutely extraordinary, stepping into the Octagon at the age of 44 and beating guys who are 20 years younger than him. If Dana White has driven Couture out of the sport, then Dana White is bad for the sport.
That eloquently put into words what I have been saying to my friends for a few years. Don't know who Michael David Smith is, but he hit the nail on the head.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #17
Bernard Edwards
Member Bernard Edwards is offline
 
Bernard Edwards's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Clinton  MD
Posts: 48
Re: 'Disenchanted' Couture resigns from UFC

Freedom of Speech, Opinion, and Respect.

IMOHO - UFC is becoming the Mc, Wal, or Globo-gym, if you will, of MMA.

But just look at other sports - football, basketball, and baseball. How many leagues compete with the NFL in regard to football? None, but there are semi-pro leagues for those who can't make or choose not to play in the NFL.

As a fighter I'd jump at the oportunity to fight in the UFC, but it's all about the individual. My teammate Brandon is undefeated in the UFC, but hasn't fought there for almost a year because of exactly what Randy has issues with - respect (primarily $$$). He will be fighting (beating, whooping, KOing) Tim Silvia next week, but only after he waited out for the respect he deserves.

Before anyone goes off on these guys and how it compares to baseball, hockey, and NBA holds outs - please take into condiersation that alot of sacrifice goes into dedicating your life to an emerging sport. Only a select few get large pay days and what you do early in your own emerging career will set a trend to how you are treated later on in regard to respect.

Dana said it himself - he and his partners bought the UFC for $200K (less than most homes in the US) and it is now priceless - he couldn't even put a dollar amount to its worth - because its growth is still at 100mph. This growth is not seen in the fighter's checks and with many new fighters training their tails off every day across the world (including me...lol) there will never be shortage of a new face.

Bottom line - fighters who hold out for respect and fair pay - make a statement - especially when the fans want to see them fight. These fighters say, "Screw the Globo-gym Chronies who don't respect me - I'll walk away before you forget you need me too"

(Believe it or not - BJ Penn was one of the first to go through this - he did it after beating Matt Hues for the title (he walked away from the title) - since then he has come back, but I bet he has the respect from the UFC he deserves)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #18
Trevor Wallace
Member Trevor Wallace is offline
 
Trevor Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Medicine Hat  Alberta
Posts: 119
Re: 'Disenchanted' Couture resigns from UFC

I think that it is great that Randy "stuck it to the man". He is right that he deserves more respect. He is one of the greatest fighters in the world, and he when Randy says that he deserves more respect I am sure that he doesn’t just meant that he wants more money, although I think that is part of it, respect means more than just money. If someone feels that they are not truly valued for what the contribute whether it be at work, at home or in the octagon then they start to feel resentment. I think that it was great to watch Randy fight and I think that leaving while he was on top was a good move, although I think that he still had some good fights left in him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #19
Becca Borawski
Affiliate Becca Borawski is offline
 
Becca Borawski's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Portland  OR
Posts: 1,231
Re: 'Disenchanted' Couture resigns from UFC

Zuffa held their own press conference today in response to Couture's last week and Kim Couture's published statement.

Seems that Randy was making millions and that Zuffa has the paperwork to prove it despite what Randy said in his press conference.

For more details follow this link -- (work/family safe, MMA news site):

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...4978&zoneid=13
__________________
Becca Borawski
Managing Editor - www.breakingmuscle.com

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:55 PM   #20
George Mounce
Banned for Ethical and Integrity Violations George Mounce is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Steens  MS
Posts: 3,295
Re: 'Disenchanted' Couture resigns from UFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Edwards View Post
Dana said it himself - he and his partners bought the UFC for $200K (less than most homes in the US) and it is now priceless - he couldn't even put a dollar amount to its worth - because its growth is still at 100mph.
Try again, they bought it for $2 million, much more then most homes in the US.
(wfs) http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...25_page2.shtml
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ufc 76 Brett Sammis CrossPit 37 10-01-2007 08:49 PM
CrossFit Las Vegas and Xtreme Couture Joe Marsh Running a CrossFit Facility 2 05-22-2007 05:03 AM
Randy Couture Evan Fitts CrossPit 28 03-09-2007 11:04 PM
UFC 44 Couture vs. Ortiz Coach Competitions 18 05-10-2004 07:13 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.