CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-26-2007, 01:32 AM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Talking MCMAP on the History Channel

For anyone that doesn't know there is an interesting " reality " show on the History Channel, called " the Human Weapon. " Heck, there's been a bunch of these, but it's turning out pretty good.

W/F safe
http://www.history.com/minisite.do?c...&mini_id=54986

Anyways, while from what I've seen on MCMAP I haven't been terribly impressed. It's good enough, just like LINE was, and the whole point is a short course in lethality. They only have so much time to gain a " Good Enough " proficiency in H2H. For your grunts, it still gets down to your rifle and main weapon systems. By the time you get down to your bayonet, knife, and H2H; you're pretty SOL.

If you watch the show, you'll notice in the " Hell Room " or something like that they are busy doing KB work and Med Ball Slams. As another friend of my noted, their conditioning was much more interesting than what was shown on the show ( about 4 techniques ).

Sure, gives an idea for " HOT " training. Way more than Hot Yoga.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
Tami Collins

Profile:
Re: MCMAP on the History Channel

Yes, I saw that episode also. The first thing I thought of during the "Hell Room" sequence was CrossFit. I believe they had to alternate doing KB work, ball slams and being pummeled by the instructors while the heat in the room was cranked up over 100 degrees.

My judo sensei studied with an old-school Korean Grandmaster. He used to crank up the heat in the dojo in the summer and turn it off and open the windows and doors in the winter.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

At my old karate school, we rarely used AC unless there was someone who needed it or was new. Basically we encouraged the sweat, hydrated, and put fans on. I think we kept the AC on for the kids. It was a good excuse to train without tops ( so we could hit flesh on flesh for body training? ) and character training.

In the winter we would go outside, strip down and train as well or do so on trips to the foothills. We were allowed sandals on concrete because our sensei didn't think it was healthy for skin contact to concrete or asphalt.

That part was the most interesting part of the episode, I think.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Ron Wilhelm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
If you watch the show, you'll notice in the " Hell Room " or something like that they are busy doing KB work and Med Ball Slams. As another friend of my noted, their conditioning was much more interesting than what was shown on the show ( about 4 techniques ).

They let the cat out of the bag? I suppose knowing what you are in for advance won't help you much, but still. When I went through this on a weekend in the reserves I developed so much soreness that I was woken up from the pain during during my sleep shifting movements. I've never been more sore in my life. We did a lot of static holds like 'NASCAR' (45 lb plate held out straight like a steering wheel', 'Superman' - arms extended, horizontal on the BE.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
Jay Hanewinkel

Profile:

If you're interested in military fighting systems, check out what Matt Larsen has done with MACP (modern army combatives). They've been doing great things there and the AAR's from the field in Iraq and Afghanistan have been hugely successful. Best military program out there.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
Frank C Ollis

Profile:

I have trained MCMAP and MACP, I am a Black Belt in MCMAP.

What it boils down to is the confidence and creativity of the instructor doing the unit level training. The two programs are clones.

I have trained with and sparred instructors and instructor trainers (MAIT) from both systems, the only guys who stand a chance are guys with prior experience. However, that is not the point of the systems. For the average Marine or soldier, the lesson is that getting hit won't kill you. Hit, be hit, develop confidence and skill. Provide a basis for development of a decent H2H skill set.

The two most important contributions of MCMAP and MACP are:
CONFIDENCE and AGGRESSIVENESS.

My shop does Fight Club Friday. We lay out my mats in the bay, and anyone can call out anyone else for grappling. We have a blast, and it sends them away for the weekend motivated.

I also do Hoplite Heart Attack. Flak, Kevlar, mouthpiece, Kicking shield on weak arm, baton and hockey glove on strong side. The one rule?
Never run away.