CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Joe Gomez

Profile:
Secrets of Psyllium

anyone heard of this? they sell at Trader Joes. I was told it was a fiber supplement? anyone
Old 01-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Secrets of Psyllium

You shouldn't need a fiber supplement if you're eating enough vegetables and fruits.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Paul A Booth

Profile:

I buy mine at Costco. I don't eat enough fruit or vegetables and this really helps. I know it isn't ideal, but it works great for me. I take it twice a day.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
David Fletcher

Profile:

I've used that stuff in the past. The psyllium is nothing special. It's the same stuff that metamucil uses they just package it differently. I actually dislike the Trader Joe's kind. It's unflavored and the particles are too big making the consistency not so pleasant.

Like Shane said you shouldn't need it with proper vegetable intake, and if you find yourself needing it then I'd recommend finding the source of the problems. For me that happens when I drink too much milk for mass gain purposes. Magnesium also helps in that department.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
Meghan Reid

Profile:

+1 to magnesium. I just started taking Natural Calm at night and um. Yeah. It works. LOL.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos View Post
+1 to magnesium. I just started taking Natural Calm at night and um. Yeah. It works. LOL.
Yes it does.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Paul A Booth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fletcher View Post
I've used that stuff in the past. The psyllium is nothing special. It's the same stuff that metamucil uses they just package it differently. I actually dislike the Trader Joe's kind. It's unflavored and the particles are too big making the consistency not so pleasant.

Like Shane said you shouldn't need it with proper vegetable intake, and if you find yourself needing it then I'd recommend finding the source of the problems. For me that happens when I drink too much milk for mass gain purposes. Magnesium also helps in that department.
David,

If it's true that we should get enough fiber through proper vegetable intake, should we not also get enough magnesium through proper diet as well? I'm not asking to be a smarta** - just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
Darla Powell

Profile:

I take a Psyllium/Acidophilus combo from Vitamin Shoppe. A little extra scrubbing doesn't hurt.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul A Booth View Post
David,

If it's true that we should get enough fiber through proper vegetable intake, should we not also get enough magnesium through proper diet as well? I'm not asking to be a smarta** - just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks.
Ideally, yes. Although it's much easier to get fiber through diet. And if you're not getting something as abundant as fiber, you're probably missing out on a whole lot more than just fiber.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
Paul A Booth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Ideally, yes. Although it's much easier to get fiber through diet. And if you're not getting something as abundant as fiber, you're probably missing out on a whole lot more than just fiber.
Thanks Shane - I know (think) I'm not getting enough fiber because I don't eat enough fruit n veg. I will have to try to figure out if I'm getting enough Magnesium & Calcium from my Diet and go from there.