CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-17-2006, 04:59 AM   #1
Rich Krauss

Profile:
I tried lowering the bar during back squat below neck just above rear delts as in Rippetoe's book but it seems low. Is this the right position? It seems more comfortable right below the most prominant cervical spine.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Rip also recommends wrapping the thumbs over the top of the bar with the rest of the fingers and lifting your elbows up and back so you are not holding the bar up with you hands but rather supporting the weight on the back and using the arms to keep the bar in place. Keep playing with it. Maybe post a pic to see and we can have a look at it.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
The back is a lever, and the longer the lever, the more torque at the end. As I understood it, that was the main idea. As Keith said, the thumb and elbow position he recommends help support that.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:42 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Rich,
The high-bar position you mention, where the bar is resting around C7-T1, can cause problems over time. Compression of two spinous processes (especially the most prominent ones in the entire body) with some of the heaviest loads most people deal with in weight training is a recipe for trouble.

I use one of two options. The first is the Manta Ray (Google it) for high bar squats. The high-bar squat is preferred by those training for the Olympic lifts. Some overly macho people think things like the Manta Ray are for sissies. Personally, I'd rather be the guy who was still squatting in the latter half of my life than the macho guy with herniated cervical discs from years of unnecessary punishment. To each their own.

The second would be the low-bar position that Coach Rippetoe suggests. I don't use this much, as I don't PL. If you don't have a pad or Manta Ray or aren't willing to use one, I'd suggest going with the low-bar position.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #5
stef bradford

Profile:  
If you don't have a pad or Manta Ray or aren't willing to use one, I'd suggest going with the low-bar position.

More traps + tight upper back (to bunch them up) makes a nice, natural protective pad for either high or low bar position squats.

s.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #6
Rich Krauss

Profile:
is having the bar rest along the traps considered safe?
Old 05-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Stef,
In my education and training in the nervous system, bunching up the traps is setting the body's entire "startle" reflex into action before even lifting a weight.

Related study: http://www.kines.uiuc.edu/labwebpages/nck/index_files/Articles/Postural_and_eye- blink_indices_of_the_defensive_startle_reflex.pdf

This will create neck problems over time along with the "turtle" appearance (head appearing to be pulled into the shoulders) over time--that's the SAID principle in action. Most PLers and fighters have this issue, as this is what they train. We become better/stronger at what we train--this includes excessive tension created in the neck and shoulders to lift weights in relatively arbitrary ways (ie. bar on back of neck versus Manta Ray--neither one is really more "functional" if the weights are the same).

I don't believe that the trapezius muscles, no matter how big, can prevent big weights from digging into the spine in a high bar position. Even if they can, the force is still transmitted through the system in the same way. Spreading the weight over a larger surface area is only a good idea to prevent potential future issues, that's what the Manta Ray does.

Again, I'm in the game for the long run.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
it's probably safer than having the bar rest on the c-spine.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
The manta ray feels very unstable; it balances the bar a good inch up off your body. With light squats that might not be an issue, but with heavy squats, you don't need to move the weight very much farther from COG to really notice. I concur with Stef: grow some traps, and use 'em.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:18 AM   #10
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
I concur with Stef and Lynne. If you are doing high bar squats correctly it shouldn't be a problem.