CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-01-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Todd Herrmann

Profile:  
This is my first post on this board. I've been incorporating some of the crossfit workouts into my training for about a month now after a friend referred me to the site.

I wanted to get some opinions and insight on the position of shoulders at the start of a deadlift. In the slideshow in the "Exercises" section of the crossfit website, it shows the shoulders starting slightly forward of the bar.

In a picture (http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/...i-lat-tuck.jpg) from the WOD on 050113 it shows a weak starting position and a strong starting position. In the strong starting positition picture, the athlete clearly starts with their shoulders behind the bar.

I've read recommendations for both starting with shoulders forward and behind of the bar through articles on fitness, bodybuilding and powerlifting. Which way do you guys and gals suggest? Is it a personal comfort thing? Or is there really one way that's better than the other? Thanks,

Todd
Old 04-01-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Todd, as any olympic lifter, I start with shoulders slightly forward. Do powerlifters start behind it?
Old 04-02-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
Mike Minium

Profile:
Todd,

Did you read the ensuing conversation in the "Comments" section that the picture for the 1/13/05 WOD provoked?

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000664.html

Reading through the posts for the WOD should answer your question (see posts by Tony B and Coach), but in brief, the picture of Lani on the left will provide for max speed (shoulders ahead of the bar), while the picture of Lani on the right will provide for max load (shoulders behind the bar).

This, by the way, fits perfectly with Veronica's observation since she's an olympic lifter (where speed of the bar, and the amount of momentum you can generate against the bar, is key) and not a power lifter (where max load is the goal, no matter how fast or slowly the bar travels).

Mike
Old 04-03-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
Todd Herrmann

Profile:  
Veronica and Mike,

Thanks for the advice. I went back and read the comments section from that day and I think I have a better understanding of the reasons for using the different starting positions, depending on whether your goal is weight or speed.

Todd
Old 04-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #5
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Mike Minium: Doesn't post too frequently, but when he does, he usually hits it out of the park!
Nice one!