CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Cheryl Schaan

Profile:
Cutting my kids off of crap ..

I have made the decision to cut my two kids off of junk ... don't know why i didn't do this sooner .. I am wondering if anybody has any lunchbox ideas or recipes .. I am doing paleo but won't be expecting them to get rid of dairy or grains ... just sugar and junk basically (chocolate, fruit rollups, sugary cereal and all of that other gross stuff).

My son is seven and is a carb/junk addict with a history of behaviour issues .. daughter is eleven and is a daydreamer .. forgetful etc. so I am hoping this will make some kind of impact. Just thought I'd start this thread up for moms (and dads!) to talk about any good ideas for what kids might like and if others have gone through this transition with the offspring

Last edited by Cheryl Schaan; 02-06-2009 at 02:08 PM..
Old 02-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Sara Fleming

Profile:
Re: Cutting my kids off of crap ..

Well, here's what I feed my kids. I still have "kid" food around the house for emergencies, babysitter nights, mommy is losing her mind and the kids are hungry days, etc.

So, we still have a constant supply of chicken nuggets and mac and cheese. But, we serve it with fresh fruits, especially berries, kiwis, mango, pineapple, sweet potatos, and fresh corn. My daugher will eat any vegetable if she can dip it in ranch.

For breakfast, we make cream of wheat and oatmeal. I make Bisquick waffles, but add extra eggs, wheat germ, bran flakes, and sometimes protein powder. We always offer fruit.

In their lunches, I pack Stoneyfield farm yogurts, dried fruits (raisins, cranberries, fruit leather, etc.), baked chips, these awesome baked Snapeas (my kids call them green french fries), pretzels with soy butter (can't have peanut butter in pre-school), cheese and crackers, cheese sticks, and whatever kind of fruit they want.

For dinners, I usually make a side of brown rice or barilla Omega-3 high protein pasta to have for them and if I know they won't eat what we're eating, I hard-boil some eggs for them or cook some chicken nuggets. And if I know they won't eat the veggie of the day, I serve fruit, sweet potatos, or corn.

I kind of keep a running tally of their protein, calcium, vitamin A, C, D, iron sources through the day and it usually works itself out if not in one day, usually by the end of two or three. I used to keep meticulous records and what I realized was that every week, it was spot on, so I stopped worrying about it and just offered healthy choices and trusted their instincts, even the picky ones.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Eric Lester

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Fleming View Post
pretzels with soy butter (can't have peanut butter in pre-school)
Just curious about the reason behind this. Perhaps afraid a classmate with a peanut allergy will get ahold of some?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lester View Post
Just curious about the reason behind this. Perhaps afraid a classmate with a peanut allergy will get ahold of some?
Bingo. In fact it will get sent home or thrown out and the parent can get a call etc from the school. I won't give my opinion on this one.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Sara Fleming

Profile:

We have children with severe peanut allergies in the school, the anaphalactic non-breathing-until-you-die-kind (probably at least one if every class believe it or not) and preschoolers and not known for their ability to wash hands or not smear peanut butter under tables or chairs. Its one thing to have your child get hives or have diarrhea, its another to have to stab your child with an epi-pen because they can't breathe.

I can understand getting up in arms about some things, but I don't mind this rule.

Peanut butter is allowed in the elementary schools and kids with allergies have their own smaller cafeteria.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Marty_Johnson

Profile:

Cheryl, it looks like your son and my son are twins. He is also 7, and pretty much all he wants is carbs. He won't eat any fruit, and I have to entice him with a small desert to get him to choke down certain vegetables. He also has problems with focusing at school, so for the last few months, he has been on medication for ADHD, which has done wonders for his grades. Anyway, I am trying to slowly convert him off the junk to food that is at least better for him, but not always healthy. He is very skinny for his age, and lately the doctor suggested giving him a small serving of whey protein with milk and Carnation Instant Breakfast, not only for weight gain, but to get some extra nutrients into his system. I tell him it's a "muscle shake" and he likes the sound of that. I also want to break him into Crossfit Kids, to ingrain in him a healthy lifestyle. Good luck
Old 02-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Oliver Bradley

Profile:

In my opinion almond butter is better for you or your child than soy or peanut butter. Soy and peanuts are legumes and are much harder to digest.

Off topic sorry.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Sara Fleming

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Bradley View Post
In my opinion almond butter is better for you or your child than soy or peanut butter. Soy and peanuts are legumes and are much harder to digest.

Off topic sorry.
All tree nuts and peanuts are banned at my son's preschool which is why we use the soy butter.

As an added bonus, he likes it and seems to have no trouble digesting it.

Can we start having other people answering the question now instead of dissecting my answer? This sort of thing makes me anxious and sweaty.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
Cheryl Schaan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Johnson View Post
Cheryl, it looks like your son and my son are twins. He is also 7, and pretty much all he wants is carbs. He won't eat any fruit, and I have to entice him with a small desert to get him to choke down certain vegetables. He also has problems with focusing at school, so for the last few months, he has been on medication for ADHD, which has done wonders for his grades. Anyway, I am trying to slowly convert him off the junk to food that is at least better for him, but not always healthy. He is very skinny for his age, and lately the doctor suggested giving him a small serving of whey protein with milk and Carnation Instant Breakfast, not only for weight gain, but to get some extra nutrients into his system. I tell him it's a "muscle shake" and he likes the sound of that. I also want to break him into CrossFit Kids, to ingrain in him a healthy lifestyle. Good luck
My son is in the process of being tested for adhd .. i know that diet is a controversial issue when it comes to whether it has an impact with adhd but my son is overweight for his age/height anyway so i figured .. i have nothing to lose ... I'm lucky that he likes fruit and about 5 "normal" vegetables. I've given him eggs for breakfast two days in a row with not much opposition coming from him but wish i could come up with more protein choices at breakfast ... I tossed the rest of the frosted flakes out today. I'm going to make smoothies for them ... I put raw egg in mine .. do you think kids can have this? And those will be ideal for sneaking in nutrients .. flax seed etc. I have that carnation instant breakfast but i was reading the ingredients and it has alot of sugar in it.

Peanut and/or nut anything is out at his school ... ughhh ... I wish we had crossfit kids here!! I have a feeling it would really take off ... I started doing a little thing with him in our basement as he is interested at what i am doing when i go ..
Old 02-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Frankly, I've always let my kids choose to eat or not eat what is being served at a meal. Unfortunately, they started on the high carb, low-fat diet of the 90's before I became enlightened, and the transition to a lower carb, paleo type diet as teens has not been perfectly smooth. That said, I still firmly believe that kids will not starve themselves to death if there is food available, whether it is "kid" food or not. Yes, they may choose not to eat a given meal, or a given food at a meal, and that's okay by me. Skipping a meal never hurt anyone, despite what the nutrition mainstream says.

My kids are 14 and 17 now, but I'd feed them the same way if they were still 5 and 8. Currently, snacks are fruit (lots of apples, frozen berries, etc.), yogurt (whole milk, plain), cheese, jerky, nitrite-free lunch meats. They still choose carbs whenever and wherever available and I still frequently serve potatoes or brown rice, and, infrequently, ww pasta at dinner. I serve a lot more protein at meals now, especially grass-fed meat, fish, eggs, poultry, etc. I always try to have two vegetables so that they have a choice (corn and potatoes are not vegetables IMHO). I must say that, although I do most of the shopping, my wife is much more lenient diet-wise and sometimes buys ramen, pretzels, and other cr*p that I hate to see the kids eat. Also, since the rest of my family still eats bread, I still bake sourdough ww bread every week.

Breakfast can be a problem, especially if they view it as the typical pancakes, waffles, muffins, and other high carb fare. A fruit smoothie with some protein powder or eggs is a good option different from eggs.

Last edited by Scott Allen Hanson; 02-06-2009 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: added comment.