CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-01-2007, 08:17 AM   #1
Steve Muller

Profile:
I have an aparment so I cant really make my own garage gym. Doing many of the wod's is a pain in the but at my regular gym.

I have been comming up with creative ways to get the wod's done.

I used a cinder block the other day to do kettlebells and over head squats. ive also used a pretty heavy lead pipe for the oh squats when i dont want to go to the gym. I run to the playground to do muscle ups on the rings and monkey bars when needed.

I actually am completely enjoying making my workouts somewhat adventurous.

I was wondering if anybody has similar experiences and/or suggestions about creative ways to get the wod's done outside the gym?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Chris Thiele

Profile:
I don't have a garage and my basement ceiling is too low for any standing overhead work, so I find myself improvising a lot too. I make ample use of the nearby playground, have a doorway pull-up bar at a stairway door (gives me lots of assisted movement options while I GTG), do box jumps off my 24" porch, stuff like that. It's kind of fun improvising, but I do wish I had a complete garage gym so I wouldn't have to spend the time searching out alternative exercises.

I'm trying to collect equipment as I can afford it and as my limited space allows. Just ordered a kettlebell yesterday.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Stuart Smith

Profile:
Hunt down the playground equipment - it is your friend. You did well to find a park with rings in it. I don't think there is even one in this whole city, that I know, of with rings.

I have been thinking for a while about a running park-to-park session one day when my mates are up to it. I live in a park packed area so I can hit about 3 parks inside 5km and do different things at each stop along the way before hitting the road again.

Otherwise... just keep "thinking outside the square you are". I worked out for a long time without any equipment at all, making use of household items and furniture to spice things up if I needed to etc. It is fun to be creative, right?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Steve Muller

Profile:
it definetly makes things more exciting. Im lucky to have a park that has somewhat of an obstacle course set up along a half mile run. They have the best pullup bar in town.

if i could get a bar and weights there i would never go to the gym
Old 05-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Make a medball/slammer to add variety...

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/17171.html
(safe, it's crossfit!)

When I made mine, I just cut a hole with an exacto knife, but drilling it would leave nicer edges... as well as probably leaking less air. You can also get away with just the tire puncture plug- but the ball will leak air (it holds it's shape well enough for wall ball though).

If you don't have a machine for funneling sand into the ball (not exactly a household item...), I'd recommend hanging a BIG ziploc full of sand over the funnel and cutting a small hole in the corner. Keeps you from sitting there for hours...

Old 05-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Chris Walls

Profile:
I followed those plans the other day, worked like a charm. However I drilled a larger hole then it called for in order to accomodate my smallest funnel. I think it ended up as 3/16", maybe 3/8" The puncture plug still stuffed it, and held air. Then once I added a patch over top its good to go.

I borrowed some high quality Okanagan sand from the beach about 2 blocks from my house (a 4l ice cream pail holds almost 10# exactly btw...) and most of it funneled in quite effortlessly (the wetter stuff was a pain but it still went ok...)

All in all I spent under $30 CAD, I have a 22# med ball, that I haven't tested for slamming but I am super confident that it will take all I can give it. Along with enough plugs and patches for a couple more, all I'd need is another $5 ball lol.

(Message edited by chris_walls on May 02, 2007)