CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-24-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
Thomas Beasley

Profile:
Let me start by saying that if I didn't have to pay for my internet use by the half hour (internet cafe) I would spend more time searching the archives.

Today's WOD and the WOD a couple weeks ago helped me realize I need to work on my form on the front squat.

The problems I have keep having are my elbows high are not high enough, my wrists and forearms do not seem to have the flexablity they need, and the bar does not rest across my chest and shoulders.

What exercises can I do to improve the rom and my body positioning.

Thank you for any help. Any links to past topic threads would be sick. Thanks again
Old 04-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Your wrists don't actually have to be all that flexible, as you're not really holding the bar, rather, you just have your fingers under it to keep it balanced. It is usually just resting across your sternum area. Dan John gave me a good tip to focus on tensing your butt down towards the floor...it almost always makes your elbows raise by improving the posture.

As for exercises to improve the way it racks...I'll have to leave that up to Coach B or some other qualified O-lifting instructor!
Old 04-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
James Forbes

Profile:
I have a problem with the front squats, as well. The bar always tends to rest too high--on my clavicals (collarbones)--which hurts. If anyone has any suggestions, please pass on the good info.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
Chris Bonvie

Profile:
Me and a friend of mine just finished the WOD, and he had the same problem. Try lifting your elbows higher, and if you cant do that then lift your shoulders just a tiny bit. It makes a world of difference, it also depends on what grip you go with. The front squat vidoe on here shows the standard grip but I know some people who cross there arms and let the bar rest that way. sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. But in either case lifting you shoulders just a smidgen will help you out, takes pressure of your bone and puts it onto your delts.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:31 PM   #5

Profile:

thomas - the best way to improve flexibility for racking a barbell is racking a barbell and attempting to elevate the elbows as much as possible. if you feel like stretching outside the gym, just hold the backs of one set of fingers on the corresponding shoulder (as if they're being held down by a barbell) with your other hand and drive that elbow up. hang out for a while. rinse and repeat.

james - like chris said, drive your elbows higher and shrug your shoulders a bit to get the bar off your clavicles. i wouldn't go with the alternate grips, though, simply because they don't transfer to anything - you'll never catch a clean with your arms folded or with your hands supinated. better off practicing positions/movements that have greater application.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
Chris Bonvie

Profile:
I agree with greg that the grip doesn't do you a whole lot of justice. I find the standard grip with your elbows out to be the best. My xfit buddy used to cross his arms all the time and he actually decided to change his grip today once I showed him the standard. If you take your time gettin the bar comfortable before I take it off the rack I find helps as well, there were a few reps where I just dove into the lift and I found the bar resting on my clavicle as well as putting pressure on my wrists. If I take 20 seconds or so to get the placement just right then I find it sits much more comfy.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:02 PM   #7
Aimee Anaya

Profile:
Thomas-
The front squat is a difficult one to get used to, and flexibility definetly plays a role. Some important things to remember is your positioning, when going into the squat, catching the bounce, and coming up again. because it is easy to round your back, you need to be certain you are keeping your back tight, and you are driving up with your elbows. if you find you are having difficulty keeping a solid platform for the bar to rest on, try relaxing your hands- you do not need to be firmly grasping the bar, but rather let the bar roll back on your palms, towards your fingers. Also, if you have a very narrow clean grip, this may effect you being able to get your elbows high (I think this affects some people, but not all). you want to ensure you are racking the bar (off of the racks) the same way you would rack a clean. I do not suggest crossing your arms while front squating- because that is not how you will catch a clean. Also, taking a deep breath through your nose, thus filling your stomach full of air- this will help you raise your chest, providing a solid foundation as well.
hope this helps...