CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-28-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
For a while I have been taken anywhere from 10-15 grams of fish oil a day. More recently I've been taking 14-15 a day and i've noticed that my heart rate seems to be lower than normal. I have a CPR class at school and this girl practicing taking my pulse noted that my heart rate was extremely slow and my pulse was hard to find. In addition, I have recently been getting random nose bleeds out of absolutely nowhere. I don't know what is causing this, but I know that fish oils tend to thin the blood and think that that could be the cause. I did notice that the blood that comes out of my nose seems unusually thin and much less vicious than in the past. I'm probably taking too much oil, but I feel good when I take this amount, my head feels more clear. Other supplements that I take are potassium/magnesium and a multivitamin. Is it possible that the fish oils are causing the nose bleeds?
Old 01-28-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Greg,
If I were you, I would cut down on the EPA/DHA intake to around 5-6 grams total a day.

What amounts were you on before you arrived at this number of 10-15g a day?

I think your line of thought is on the right track, nosebleeds are one of the first signs I use for patients to let me know that they're on too much fish oil.

Are you on 10-15g of fish oil (1 Tbsp.) or 10-15g of total EPA/DHA? There is a huge and significant difference between the two.

If you are already eating well (ie. grassfed meats), then you don't need to over-balance the omega-6s as much as let's say a "Standard American".

There are other ways to reduce inflammation other than just fish oil, ie. systemic enzymes like Vitalzym that work through different pathways. I think that you might have pushed the fish oil pathway a bit too hard at this point.

Dr. G

(Message edited by guerilastrength on January 28, 2006)
Old 01-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Hey Dr.G, thanks for the reply. I'd say I was taking about 5g before this. I've been taking about 15 grams of the fish oil, not total EPA/DHA. I don't eat grassfed meat, I eat domestic varieties, so I figured it would be more important to get in higher doses of omega-3's. 12 of the grams come from generic fish oil and the other 3 I get from cod liver oil to get adequate vitamin D during winter (I live in the north east coast). When you say "If I were you, I would cut down on the EPA/DHA intake to around 5-6 grams total a day." do you mean total EPA/DHA or do you mean total fish oil grams? thanks again
Old 01-29-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

There are also other herbal supplements (or prescription meds) that you might be taking that will also "thin the blood" and/or increase bleeding propensity.

Among OTC / herbal stuff:

Aspirin (also a component of Excedrin)
NSAIDs like ibuprofen (Advil) (minor effect)
Garlic
St. John's Wort
Gingko Bilboa
Dong Quai
various other herbs with minor impact (tumeric, licorice, gingseng)

Prescription meds:

Plavix, Ticlid, Lovenox, ReoPro, heparin, Coumadin (warfarin), Aggrastat, etc.

Most of these are specifically anti-coagulants, and aren't usually prescribed unless you've had a heart attack or are seen as a stroke risk . . . hopefully not applying to you.

I know I was once using several of the herbal stuff above at the same time, and noticed that minor cuts just wouldn't stop bleeding . . . figured it was time to cut back.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Greg,
I meant total EPA/DHA at around 5-6g a day. Try to find out your total of those. If you are around that number and you are getting nosebleeds, it may still be too much for your personal physiology.

I think whatever amount you're taking, along with any prescription meds, OTC supplements, and whatever else that might affect your blood clotting mechanisms is a bit much at the current time. For all we know, you may be incredibly efficient at converting ALA into EPA and that's contributing to the problem. If that went over your head, just ignore it.

If I were you, I'd reduce the dose. If a traumatic bloody event were to happen to you right now, you'd be in a world of hurt.

All that being said, winters are dry and I've got dry skin and nosebleeds from the lack of humidity (very, very rare for me).

Dr. G
Old 01-29-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Thanks guys, I appreaciate the feedback. I do actually put garlic in some of my foods, and I know that it is an anti-coagulant. However, I've been using garlic for years; the nose bleeds bagan after and increase in omega-3's, so I'm gonna cut down on those. I'll try the 5-6 grams a day. Thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
Ted Cam, Jr

Profile:
Greg, for a short time, I too was having a small problem with nose bleeds. I was taking too much Vitamin E (1000 iu) per day. I cut back to 400 iu per day. You may want to check that as well. Good luck!

-Ted
Old 01-30-2006, 08:44 AM   #8
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Thanks Ted. I don't supplement with vitamin E but I sure do eat LOTS of nut butters at this point. I know nuts are packed with vitamin e, but I don't think I could be eating an excess from whole foods (who knows though) The fish oil I take does contain vitamin e, however, the exact amount is not listed on the bottle.