CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Ban running in parks!

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/counci...-1226123540189 (Wfs)

Pretty ridiculous if that law gets introduced.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Helen M Brennan

Profile:
Re: Ban running in parks!

god forbid that our copuncils should miss an opportunity to gouge more money from their long suffering residents...

i can understand not wanting bootcamp style yelling etc in a residential area before say 6am or after 8pm but seriosuly with attitudes exhibited by regulators its no wonder that australia is facing an ever increasing obesity epidemic and our health system is on the verge of collapse..

H
Old 10-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Pearse Shields

Profile:

So, what about running clubs? Groups who use the park for fitness reasons, but not for personal monetary gain? I know the local parkour scene would be up in arms if this happened here...
Old 10-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Didn't Australia also ban teachers from marking incorrect anwers in red? s
Old 10-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
Didn't Australia also ban teachers from marking incorrect anwers in red? s
No, that was the poms http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-children.html (wfs)

Pearse / Helen, may as well not have parks at all, right?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
So, what about running clubs? Groups who use the park for fitness reasons, but not for personal monetary gain? I know the local parkour scene would be up in arms if this happened here...
the issue is confusing to say the least. One argument is that personal trainers who use public parks etc have an unfair financial advantage over those who have a building or whatever. If a public area is used by a business then council bylaws say that business must have a license to trade there.. ie coffee vendors for example. For the fitness from what i gather it is acceptable for a group of individuals who want to exercise to use the park, in fact they can legally band together to pay a trainer but that trainer cannot use the park for their business.... about a clear as mud isnt it!

I see it as yet another money making exercise nothing more..

Helen
Old 10-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I once talked to a Sedona, AZ City Parks employee about training in the park behind my house. He said group classes are not allowed because that would mean the park would be full of people working out. I kid you not, he said that. This particular park, as with all of the city parks, was like a ghost town most of the time.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Scott Walters

Profile:

This has been done in a few places in Australia, like bond beach. Thankfully here, when our box asked about using parks, their reply was that they couldn't think of a better use than getting people fit. One for common sence I say
Old 10-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Its stuff like this that I just dont get.

I mean a park is a publci location, built for the sole purpose of going there to get outside and be active, or at least enjoy the area. If the park was the size of the grounds of a small house, then yes, I could understand someones concern for 10-15 people working out at once and taking up all the space. But still, I dont find it fair that people should not be able to workout in a public location (for free), regardless of whether it is ideal for them or it is the only place that they can.

I workout atthe park near my hosue sometimes, and I love it. If I was told that I was no longer allowed to unless I paid, I would be pretty upset, and have nowhere to hang up my rings either...

Just my two cents.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
James A Stevens

Profile:

So, in a lot of parks in Sydney AUS you are actively discouraged from playing ANY ball sports (some areas you can also be fined), they don't like personal trainers (Bootcamp or otherwise) unless they pay a "licence" fee and you aren't allowed to play music (At least on the Lower North Shore in Sydney).

My question then, when did parks become reading rooms?