CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
David Zhang

Profile:
Working out while Sick

Hi,

Ok, I have a question. Do you guys think it's wise to workout when you're sick or getting sick?

I've always been under the impression that when sick the best thing to do is not exert yourself. I thought that working out and exerting yourself would make the illness (e.g. cold, flu, etc.) worse and recovery time longer.

However, I've been reading the forums and people will post their results and also note they've been sick, have a fever etc. It seems like many people workout even when sick -- even when they have a fever! omg haha

What are your thoughts on this?

I was feeling like I was getting sick last night with a sore throat and this morning. After debating awhile I went ahead and worked out anyway. Before, I would always just stop everything and try to rest as much as possible to try to recover faster. However, interestingly enough, after working out I'm now feeling better that I did before. I dunno. It could be just coincidence...

I'd love to hear some opinions and suggestions...

Last edited by David Zhang : 08-03-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Working out while Sick

Bad idea.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I do light work. Mobility, foam roll, rehab/prehab, maybe some light skill work.

But if you are too sick to go to work, you are too sick to train.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Nicole Perryman

Profile:

I have done it before. It really probably depends on what you have, and how bad you really feel. I mean- working out always tends to make me feel better, but I'm sure the body needs the extra rest to heal itself? I dunno...
I had a sore throat a few months ago , but didn't really feel bad. Went to my box and did a pretty rough WOD of running ALOT, SDHP, and burpees. My chest was burning really bad, and by the next morning I was wheezing and could barely breathe. My husband made me go to the doctor, and I ended up having an upper respiratory infection, and had overworked my lungs. I ended up missing CF for 2 weeks, and when I got back still had to scale back. I definately regretted pushing myself so hard that one day.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Dave Hardy

Profile:

Quote:
I've always been under the impression that when sick the best thing to do is not exert yourself. I thought that working out and exerting yourself would make the illness (e.g. cold, flu, etc.) worse and recovery time longer.

However, I've been reading the forums and people will post their results and also note they've been sick, have a fever etc. It seems like many people workout even when sick -- even when they have a fever! omg haha
I think there's a lot of fitness masochists in CF; I doubt its condusive to optimum health.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
Matthew J. Coe

Profile:

Training can actually make the illness worse due to the extra demands on the body. Another thing, passing on the bugs to others in the gym isn't great (unless you're in your own garage). Saying that I've trained sick before and it's made the sleep better. Just don't get sick (i.e. loads of vit c, a good diet and enough sleep) and problem solved (ideal world scenario).
Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Brent Eno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I do light work. Mobility, foam roll, rehab/prehab, maybe some light skill work.

But if you are too sick to go to work, you are too sick to train.
This. do some stretching or yoga poses to get some blood flowing, but don't train.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
David Zhang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Perryman View Post
I had a sore throat a few months ago , but didn't really feel bad. Went to my box and did a pretty rough WOD of running ALOT, SDHP, and burpees. My chest was burning really bad, and by the next morning I was wheezing and could barely breathe. My husband made me go to the doctor, and I ended up having an upper respiratory infection, and had overworked my lungs. I ended up missing CF for 2 weeks, and when I got back still had to scale back. I definately regretted pushing myself so hard that one day.
ugh! That sounds really bad! May have been the running that really aggravated it. The SDHP and burpees prolly not as much?... Depends on how much and how fast too i guess...
Old 08-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

If you're sick stay home.

Your body will have enough work trying to fend off the virus or bacteria.

You will not infect your fellow CFers.

Sometimes we get sick when we are overtrained and need a break.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

if sickness is just a mild flue infection I usually keep doing heavy lifts and gymnastics but stay away from metcons (too much muscle soreness after and as posted above metcons tend to make any illness worse). Louie Simmons also was saying that lifters should not stop working out because of flue or other light infection. but if you feel really bad just take few days off, it will not affect your overall progress in any way.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19

Last edited by Alexander Kornishev : 08-04-2010 at 06:58 PM.