CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Bobby Nauss

Profile:
Need a little advice...

I'm a Level 1 trainer at our affiliate here in Jacksonville and we have run into a bit of an issue that's bothering some of the guys that train. We have noticed that a couple of people (1 in particular) are not actually completing the WOD. Some of the fellas have noticed that this individual is cutting reps...for instance, a WOD called for 80 situps, two different guys counted and this individual did 61. He then throws his time up on the board as Rx.

It was brought to my attention, so I counted today...found two different rounds where he did 6 box jumps instead of 10. Two other guys, counted 8 reps on 3 occasions.

I totally understand missing a rep on occasion, I know I'm guilty of it. And I know that on WODs where we do AMRAP in 20 minutes, for instance, I'm horrible at keeping count. That being said, I think I do a pretty decent job of saying "I did either 13 or 14 rounds," and I make sure to go on the low end. Again, don't wanna take credit for the work if I didn't do it.

Any body run into this? What did you do about it? Obviously, we are really only competing with ourselves, but it gets a bit disheartening for some people that are doing the work every day and someone is taking credit for things they didn't do.

I am hoping to get some info from the Community as a whole so I can give our Owner / Head Trainer some options.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
Michael Vasilos

Profile:
Re: Need a little advice...

This came up before here:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=57680 (WFS)

I like the idea mentioned there of having a competition at your box one weekend where he will have someone counting his reps for him and specifically inviting him to the event.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Hey Bobby!

Do you and the other members like this guy otherwise? If no it's pretty easy to just get in his grill, call him out, and encourage him to decide to leave. Most boxes are so small that losing someone unliked is a net gain, $$ notwithstanding.

Is he otherwise likable? Just as easy...take him aside and tell him you've secretly been counting his reps and remind him of the box policy that only unscaled WOD's go up on the board, or that scaled WOD's go up with a note about the scaling and that he should remember to note how he scaled his WOD.

You could also "coach" him in the WOD, telling him that it's his turn to get personal attention in class and count his reps for him. Again, unless he's a jerk and you'd just as soon have him out of there, IMO you should default to an option that is kind.

--bingo
Old 07-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Your a trianer, you go arround checking form and coaching during the workout. You can count his reps with out it being sneaky and point it out. You would point it out if he was doing a bad squat or not fully extending at the top of a box jump. Walk up during his workout and just count for him and correct him.

That or either tell him out right, and tell him that he is only cheating himself out of fitness for a time.

Tell him that the time is only a vehichel for intensity and he is missing the point of timed workouts. And cheating himself.

And tell him posting a false time is not cool to others who are doing workouts legit.

We all get caught up in the time comparisson, it happens, we all want to be fastest. But at what price?

Just tell him, don't do the comp thing. Deal with it straight up. He may get mad, he may recognize his mistake. But if he works out after that count him everytime and correct him.

It would suck to loose some one who is paying you, but where is your integrity. Will you stasnd for that in your box? Do you hold your box at a high standard?

Better to soose one person who is cheating and upsetting other people, the others leaving because of him.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Bobby Nauss

Profile:

Thanks for the help guys. Between what you guys have said and the thread Michael linked to, I have some ideas to bring to our Lead Trainer / Owner. I understand the guy is only cheating himself, but we also use times as measuring sticks. So if you see a guy getting great times, or posting a high number of rounds it's something to strive for....but if you are only doing half the WOD it's unrealistic.

Again, thanks for the help...I think the partner WOD idea may work pretty well. I think ignoring it is going to cause a bigger issue in the gym overall because so many people have become aware of the problem.

Thanks again....
Old 07-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I don't compare my wod times to everyone else, but we compare the powerlifts and the weightlifts at the Barbell Club. I get a little flack becuase I have a slightly lower bar position then most other guys (they all do high bar), but I hit the bottom. I can't imagine the hell someone would take if they tried to brag about a high squat. It would be merciless.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Scott A Martin

Profile:

No one likes a cheater, but really who cares. Those who know he cheats shouldn't take his results seriously and those who don't know might use his seemingly impressive times to self-motivate. The only person losing is the cheater himself.

This of course assumes he is cheating and not just bad at counting. Like you mentioned, I can easily lose track during an AMRAP workout. So if you are going to call him out, approach the topic delicately giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he's just bad at counting, it would be quite a blow to find out not only is your performance worse than what you thought, but also that the whole box has been secretly tracking your performance and talking trash about you.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Just, during the WOD, say "Hey dude finish up! You've only got 4 more...come on!" in an encouraging voice. Likely, he won't argue with you.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Give a speech to the entire group when he is there while warming up, or just before warming up that the staff has noticed that several people are missing reps, and not just by one or two, but consistanstly and to clean it up and be sure to finish all the reps.

After that start counting out loud for certian people on different moves and make sure to count whatever he hates most.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Give a speech to the entire group when he is there while warming up, or just before warming up that the staff has noticed that several people are missing reps, and not just by one or two, but consistanstly and to clean it up and be sure to finish all the reps.

After that start counting out loud for certian people on different moves and make sure to count whatever he hates most.
To each his own, but I think this is horrendous advice.

- Mark