CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Johnathan Benjamin-Nichols

Profile:
Transitions in Life

Hey fellow crossfitters!!

My name is Johnathan, and I just finished my first week at CrossfitDaytona. I must say I was a little intimidated at first but man, I love it!! I've been playing elite level sports (football) since I was a freshman in highschool and have been addicted to the thrill of pushing myself. After graduating from college in Oregon, 5 years of Div 1 football, and a small stint of Pro ball I realized that having what I consider "football weight" (265) was a little uncomfortable. I was going to the gym by myself and it was just time for a change. Week 1 has gone by, I switched my diet from my power lifting high protein/high carb intake, already lost 5lbs, & I love every minute of the volunteer torture, lol.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Sheldon Danley

Profile:
Re: Transitions in Life

So wait, you graduated one year before the Rose Bowl?! Bummer dude. So glad it's not USC for once!

Welcome to the CrossFit clan. I was going to tell you to check out www.crossfitfootball.com (WFS) but seeing as how you go to an affiliate gym they might force you to do the workouts they program.

The more you research on these boards and the popular CF sites, you will learn that a high carb diet is highly frowned upon so kudos for making a move away from it right from the jump.

[EDIT] Sorry, you said "in Oregon" not "at Oregon"...and not necessarily last year. I guess it could still be true though?

Last edited by Sheldon Danley : 12-04-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you're coming to CF with a solid strength background from D1 football you're at a big advantage--reference exhibit A, Tommy Hackenbruck (WFS) who finished 2nd at this year's Games after only 6 months of CF. You'll gain metcon capacity a lot faster than someone coming from an endurance background will gain strength.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #4

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Danley View Post
So wait, you graduated one year before the Rose Bowl?! Bummer dude. So glad it's not USC for once!

Welcome to the CrossFit clan. I was going to tell you to check out www.crossfitfootball.com (WFS) but seeing as how you go to an affiliate gym they might force you to do the workouts they program.

The more you research on these boards and the popular CF sites, you will learn that a high carb diet is highly frowned upon so kudos for making a move away from it right from the jump.

[EDIT] Sorry, you said "in Oregon" not "at Oregon"...and not necessarily last year. I guess it could still be true though?

Yea, I've been reading some of the boards and its been pretty funny reading what people have to say about their diets. For me, I just realized that I was tired of being "football big" and in "football shape." I was never much of an endurance runner so getting on a track and being able to run more than 1 mile & not be gassed is definitely a goal of mine. Now that football is all over, I can pursue my calling of becoming a Firefighter/EMT. I take the exam for the academy next tuesday!! I'm not really tripping off what WOD I do as long as I give it 100% and NEVER QUIT. I've been impressed with how welcoming all the crossfitters are though! It reminds me of being back in College and everyone having a common goal of working hard, its freaking addictive!! Thanks for the welcome though Sheldon. How long have you been crossfitting? Any tips for a crossfitting rookie?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan Benjamin-Nichols View Post
Any tips for a crossfitting rookie?
As you're obviously already doing, just stay open-minded, absorb as much as you can from the forums and CF main site, and work your azz off.

And make sure you understand your goal(s). The experts here (of which I definitely am not one) will be able to help you best when you're able to clearly describe your goal(s).

Welcome aboard.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 12-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #6

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If you're coming to CF with a solid strength background from D1 football you're at a big advantage--reference exhibit A, Tommy Hackenbruck (WFS) who finished 2nd at this year's Games after only 6 months of CF. You'll gain metcon capacity a lot faster than someone coming from an endurance background will gain strength.
yea..thats what I was told when I went to my introductory work out. I also had a lot of training with Olympic lifts while in college. Funny how life works out, I used to get into with my strength coach (always one on one, never to disrespect his regimen) about why football players needed to do Olympic lifts but after my freshman year my athleticism SOARED & it makes the WOD slightly easier because I've been critiqued on technique for so many years that lifts like Overhear squats, Power Cleans, Bk Squats, Frnt Squats, Clean & Jerk, etc. all came natural. What does "metcon" mean though??
Old 12-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan Benjamin-Nichols View Post
What does "metcon" mean though??
Metabolic conditioning...what most people would call cardio, except CF will integrate weightlifting and gymnastics into it. Includes CF WODs that are typically lighter weight, fast paced efforts...i.e. Helen, Fran, Angie, Grace, Annie, Fight Gone Bad, most of the Heroes, etc.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #8

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
As you're obviously already doing, just stay open-minded, absorb as much as you can from the forums and CF main site, and work your azz off.

And make sure you understand your goal(s). The experts here (of which I definitely am not one) will be able to help you best when you're able to clearly describe your goal(s).

Welcome aboard.

Cheers,

Mark

Thank you Mark!!

My goals are pretty simple. I would like to cut weight from 265.7 (lost 5 in first week already!) to 235 or lower. I'm 6'3 and have been playing defensive end/Outside Linebacker my whole career. I just really want to lean myself up. I had a really mean father who called me fat when I was 12 & have since always been real weary of taking off my shirt in public. Not saying that I have a belly, I just suffer from a little body dis morphia complex.

I also want to be able to run more than a mile, lol. I know it sounds kind of silly but I've always struggled with endurance running. I'm good with wind sprints, timed gassers, 100yrd striders, Snakes on the football field, 15 minute jog/sprint circuit but if I had to lace up my shoes and run around the neighborhood, i wouldst last 5 minutes before I had to stop and catch my breath or my back would spasm . It was at that point I realized i had to cut out isolation workouts and be completely physically fit.

When playing football you are always told Bigger, Stronger, Faster but now that it's over with I want to be Leaner, Stronger, Faster, & Enduring

I appreciate your words :
Old 12-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #9

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Metabolic conditioning...what most people would call cardio, except CF will integrate weightlifting and gymnastics into it. Includes CF WODs that are typically lighter weight, fast paced efforts...i.e. Helen, Fran, Angie, Grace, Annie, Fight Gone Bad, most of the Heroes, etc.
Oh yes...definitely been introduced to that this week! lol..Lactic acid build up like NO OTHER!! I love it though...once i get the soreness out of my forearms, lower back (BW deadlifts got me REALLLL GOOD LOL), etc. I'll be good, and wow..Kipp Pull-ups?! lol I love it all..It hurts so good