CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-11-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Michael Ledney

Profile:
I'm ~ 6 months into this crossfit thing and am very pleased with almost every aspect of my training. The exception is situps, I just can't do them for time.

I don't have a glute/ham bench but have rigged one out of a 50 gallon drum, a couch pillow, and a rope. I do full extension situps, touching the floor behind my head with alternating hands at the bottom of each rep, and I try to stop at an L at the top. I do three sets of 25 as part of my warmup everyday, and can do sets of 50 (i.e. "Michael") when called for. I just can't do them for time.

For example; in my most recent Michael WOD referenced above my 800s range from 2:30-3:00, 50 back extensions from 1:30-2:30, yet my fastest 50 situps (unbroken) was right around 3 minutes, slowest was more than 4. That impacts on my power output and drags down the intensity of the workout.

Finally, my body is not even working that hard during that portion of the workout. My HR falls from 170-180 during the 800s to 130-140 during the situps.

I welcome any suggestions to help increase my power output in this regard and thanks in advance.

PS. I'm leaving work now and will be unable to respond to follups until morning.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Exercises.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
Tim Myrick

Profile:  
Take note that while it's probly good to do full range situps, most ppl don't do them, so your scores just can't be compared to most other ppl's. Mebbe to ppl on here who do full-range situps...

Full range will probly give you mo' power as well.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I am also slow on the situps. Or it feels slow at least. Go for the full range of motion and just compare to yourself. Check out the Abmat... I feel it really increases the efficacy of the situp.

By the way, I *LOVE* the avatar, Michael.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Michael Ledney

Profile:
I may have a solution. I was monkeying around in the garage last night trying different ways to attack this and I stumpled onto "kipping situps."

I don't think I'll be able to give a good description but here goes. I set up on my glute/ham rig as usual, reach all the way with both arms and touch the floor. At the bottom explode up by pulling the arms from full extension "above" the head to tucked at the sides, elbows bent, hands under chin, finish with the body in an "L". At the top I imagine it looks like praying with one's feet out front. From there throw the arms back and "dive" to the bottom, lather, rinse, and repeat.

The important part is to pull the arms as straight as possible from above the head to the sides, not in an arc from above the head to above the chest then into the chest. The latter actually makes the movement more difficult and slower.

Effectively the arms are serving a purpose similar to that which the legs/trunk serve in a kipping pullup. Additionally I was able to capture and use my momentum at the top and bottom to drive me to the next rep, something I still can't do for pullups. It took me several iterations to get it to feel right, but in the end I was able to squeeze off a set of 50 in a little more than 2 minutes. HR got up to 155, so I'm definately using more of my total capacity.

Afterwards the abs felt more spent than they ever get and I also noticed my lats and triceps. Can't wait to try this in the context of a WOD.

If there's interest I could try to track down a digital camera from someone and post some pix or a film clip.

And Chris, per the avitar...that guy's look of pure befuttlement captures how I feel for 15-20 minutes six days/week. Plus I like his opinions...