CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Alison Christman

Profile:
Paleo vs Zone?

On lunch break today I'm going to the library to get a book on the Paleo Diet and the Zone Diet. I want to read up on both before dedicating myself to one!
Any advice on the easier, quicker, better, the good the badís to each diet...?
Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Peter Shrom

Profile:
Re: Paleo vs Zone?

Do both. Use Paleo for food Quality and Zone for food Quantity.

Pete
Old 11-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You can find all you need on these threads or through Google, but if you want to get a book look for "Enter the Zone" and "The Paleo Diet for Athletes."

Zone: Good for controlling portion size and being precise, good in that you can tweak it plenty of different ways to fit your specific needs once you determine what does and doesn't work for you, bad in that it requires weighing and measuring, and bad in that some people think they can be healthy on a steak and beer diet in Zone proportions

Paleo: Good for food quality and getting potential irritants (gluten, dairy, grains) out of your system, doesn't require weighing and measuring and basically allows you to eat however much food you want (within reason)

As Peter said, the best of both worlds is Paleo food choices in Zone proportions (or modified lower-carb Zone, in a lot of cases).
Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

look at the bottom of the page and do a search, there are lots of threads about this question.

Paleo emphasizes quality, zone emphasizes quantity. Try out each one or both at the same time. I do paleo and WAM my food to make sure I eat enough to gain weight. My vote is for paleo since it is much easier to follow, don't need to WAM everything you eat.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Rene' Hardee

Profile:

I'm doing "Zaleo"
Old 11-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

or you can do what I do.. I eat paleo foods and use the zone blocks as a general guideline as to how much of each macro I need. I still weigh and measure everything.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

+1 to what everyone said.

my .02$:

If you don't need to make large shifts in body composition (lose lots of fat) go for Paleo first. Once you made the shift to healthy/clean food you can then tweak and quantify the amounts to get optimal results if needed. My estimate is that just by picking the right fuels you will get 80% of the results without constant weighing and measuring.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Michael Perolio

Profile:

I have noticed when I made the switch from zone to paleo I was a lot happier. I felt like I was eating more and enjoying it. Like some people say zone makes you feel like eating is a job. It had me going insane when I would eat something that was not WAM with the other blocks. I eat real food and tweak as needed.
I also noticed that I did not make to many changes to my diet. If you are already doing a zone then you have limited the amount of bad carbs you chose to put in your body.

2 Slice bread= 4BLOCKS carbs

8 Cups Broc= 4Blocks carbs

That is A LOT more on your plate and will keep you till your next meal a lot better then the bread will.

Doing zone for a bit will help with learning portions of foods you can eat and how much more or less you will need to operate your functions
Old 11-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Read a great quote by Mark Rippetoe today: "Perfect is the enemy of good."

Now there are a lot of ways you can take that. But I think when it comes to nutrition, especially when you have a job/family, etc., you should be going for good to very good. Perfect is very hard to achieve over time and you will always disappoint yourself.

I have read Barry Sears (13 years ago) and John Berardi and others. Both Paleo and Zone make sense and have the strongest scientific support of really any diets out there. Honestly, though, rigid adherence to either is almost too mentally taxing.

I have been doing mostly Paleo for the last 6-8 weeks, but I also have been giving myself leeway to have a few drinks (especially after a workout, along with some lean protein, when I feel like the sugar does me some good) or the occasional odd sugary snack.

I also find when I look back over 24 hours of Paleo, typically I am in a "Zone" (or near Zone) macronutrient profile (or close to it). Example, yesterday, I ingested 2000 calories: roughly 30% protein, 35% fat (lots of MUFA and Omega 3) and 35% carbs.

I am by no means an expert, but having had some success with training and diets over the years, some simple rules of thumb:

1) Try to get .5-.75 grams of protein per pound of body weight every day. So if you weighed 200 pounds, you'd want 100-150 grams of lean protein.
2) Avoid soy protein
3) Drink tons of water, preferably mineralized/spring water
4) Try to keep your macronutrients in a Zone-ish range (40/30/30)
5) Make as much of your fat as possible Omega 3 and MUFA (you can get Omega 6 without even trying)
6) Eat as much wild caught fish and wild game as possible
7) Avoid beans, rice, grains, dairy and sugar (as much as possible)
8) Go for crunchy, low-glycemic fruits and veggies
9) Almonds, walnuts, seeds
10) Either have one cheat day a week or give yourself the freedom to splurge/cheat a little every few days. And forgive yourself when you do. This makes your diet more of an ongoing lifestyle as opposed to a crash and burn, do or die diet that you will eventually burn out on.

In addition to losing overall weight and building muscle over the last 11 weeks, I am also noticing my skin is much healthier and my mental/emotional outlook is much more stable. I think this is due to better hormonal balance from eating less impurities. and toxins.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
4) Try to keep your macronutrients in a Zone-ish range (40/30/30).
Not everyone functions optimally with this macro range, when I tried it, it didn't work out so well. I started logging everything I ate into fitday around the middle of september and I have been at 50-60% fat, 25-35% protein, and 15% or less for carbs; this has been working well. So play around with the macro range to see what works best.