CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
David Weaver

Profile:
CrossFit Inner Icon

Hey guys,

My wife and I have been working really hard and have officially opened our new affiliate, CrossFit Inner Icon! We are very excited to be a part of this community! I am currently coaching in the evenings while my wife runs the business end of things. Check us out and let us know what you think!

David
wfs http://www.innericonfitness.com
Old 11-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Inner Icon

Hi David -- Welcome!

Nice crisp, clear layout.

The first thing I look for on an affiliate website is the address (including state) and the phone number. Right there, easy to find, when I open the page. Sure, you can have a "Contact Us" button too, but make it supereasy for people to call you right away, without having to do anything. For some examples, take a look at CrossFit LA or CrossFit Fire or CrossFit Watertown -- although we just redesigned our blog and I'm thinking it's a bit too understated and I want to "pop" the number out again.

Good luck! Looks like you're off to a good start!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Nice site, but to re-enforce what Lisbeth said earlier...

Where are you in Federal Way? The only thing I'm not seeing is an actual address or map.

I'd especially like to know since where I live is butt-to-gut against Pacific, Auburn and Federal Way (and to a lesser extent, Lake Tapps and Sumner).
Old 11-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

I will play a devils advocate here and will say that it really depends whether you want the address/phone up there right away or not.

We have the Getting Started/What We Do sections.

In my opinion cons to that are:
1. People will read the workouts, see the pics, get scared & never call.
2. People with ADD or those unable/unwilling to read/find more information about the gym will not stick around long enough to actually call/email.

The Pro's are -
1. People will read the workouts, see the pics, get scared & never call.
2. People with ADD or those unable/unwilling to read/find more information about the gym will not stick around long enough to actually call/email.

Thus it's a natural way of weeding out folks who would waste my time & thus save us a lot of time (which at this point is the most precious commodity).
Old 11-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
David Weaver

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback guys! I appreciate both point of views.

I added our city and state to the main page since our location is not in our name. I also updated our address to give a more approximate location. We are a garage facility so I don't give away our exact location unless I am contacted personally for it.

I like the idea of getting people to browse around a little bit before calling. When they are ready to call, it's just 1 click away...
Old 11-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Harrie Weidenbacher

Profile:

That's a good-looking site. I think the recipes are a nice touch, too.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
Kris Murphy

Profile:

Dave, your site is not coming up for me at all. Who's hosting it? Maybe they're having server problems.

Lizbeth, LOVE the look of the Watertown site. Crisp, clean and professional.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
John D. Burch

Profile:

Why NOT have your number readily available?

I can see if you have a ton of phone calls and DO NOT know how to answer the phone... having people call you can be a real problem... but the answer to that particular problem isn't making it harder for people to call... the answer is get better at answering the phone.

First... I know this for a fact... most affiliates don't have enough activity so their phone doesn't really ring that much... so when it does ring, it's time to make the most of it.

One of the thing we do when answering calls at CFLA is have a plan as to what we want the outcome to be... yes - WE have an outcome in mind. We will determine if the person calling is A) a potential client and therefore schedule an intro B) a suspect who we might give some relevant info to and then offer to them they call us back C) not the person we are looking for.. AND WE TELL THEM (not in so many words) ON THAT CALL. It's our position that with a 3- 5 minute call (short effective, concise) we can help a person get involved or determine with them that CrossFit isn't the right fit. We do this to help the prospect/suspect AND help our current clients and us all at the same time. All this is done without going over price.

I hope this helps.

John

BTW - it's all taught in our seminar.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #9
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

John,

We do get a lot of phone calls & we have a waiting list to come in & try out.

Merely those who used to call without checking out the website were a pain in the *** 80% of the time just wasting time & asking the same questions. Generally it was people unwilling to do their research & just wanting an easy way out in the gym anyway.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:45 AM   #10
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
John,

We do get a lot of phone calls & we have a waiting list to come in & try out.

Merely those who used to call without checking out the website were a pain in the *** 80% of the time just wasting time & asking the same questions. Generally it was people unwilling to do their research & just wanting an easy way out in the gym anyway.
And maybe that's a different situation than a brand new affiliate who needs to get the word out to people about what CrossFit is and what they do?

I think John's right. Talking to people on the phone can be very helpful in this business. Make it easy for them to find you and talk to you. Maybe that's not your situation, Leo, but I would urge every new affiliate to make their phone number obvious -- and I would urge every affiliate (new or not) to put their address (at least city and state) on the front page of their website.