CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
Rene' Hardee

Profile:
paleo with hypoglycemia?

A friend of mine is scared to go paleo because she is hypoglycemic and said she needs sugar. Can anyone shed any light on this? Can she not do it?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Mike Mallory

Profile:
Re: paleo with hypoglycemia?

haha........she's hypoglycemic from eating sugar!

If you get off high glycemic carbs then your body will find it much easier to control blood sugar, because it won't have the big swings...........Giving the ol'
pancreas a break
Old 10-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Short answer: There's plenty of sugar in fruit.

Longer answer:
What's she eating now? Is she hypoglycemic as a complication of diabetes, or due to some other cause?

Generally speaking, one way to manage hypoglycemia is to change eating patterns to ensure stable blood sugar. That's one of the benefits that Paleo adherents claim for their diet, too.

Katherine
Old 10-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
Beth Eternick

Profile:

I'd suggest tracking food intake for a good week or so, to get an idea of where they're at and how much of 'what' - how much carbohydrate from sugar, or from fiber? How much fat or protein? Caloric total?

If sugar is high but fiber is really low, try to swap those numbers around for a couple of weeks. While lowering carbohydrate total intake might be a solution, and might even turn out to be a necessary one, it can be a bit awkward for people to wrap their minds around it. Switching the sources of intake is one way to get the ball rolling, if that's the case. Nothing wrong with starting slow, *as long as* it's all being tracked. (Slow going tends to have less sudden 'extreme' results or effects, and they're easier to NOT notice.) Knock out a bit of fruit if it's over 3 pieces a day, for example. Cut out the candy for a few weeks entirely. No sodas, no 'fruit juice' (I don't care how 'natural' it is!!) and replace it with other items (my go-tos are nuts, sliced meat and hard-boiled eggs - although I'd really recommend any veggies they'd like, also. ).

When I cut back on sugar, my blood sugar started evening out quite nicely... but when I cut back on *starches* (rice, pasta, potatoes) I STOPPED having sugar crashes. And I even added a bit of sugar in the form of a bit more fruit and the like, and my glucose has STAYED stable.
Raising my total protein and fat intake has helped a ton with keeping me full, not feeling the 'need' to munch on whatever all day long.
No major midday cravings NEEDING sugar or anything.

Last edited by Beth Eternick : 10-20-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: it worked out better in my head, at first. :)
Old 10-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
John Devine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene' Hardee View Post
A friend of mine is scared to go paleo because she is hypoglycemic and said she needs sugar. Can anyone shed any light on this? Can she not do it?
Odds are she's HYPERinsulemic not HYPOglycemic. And sugar is the cause not the solution. Robb Wolf refers to this as the insulin-glucagon teeter-totter.

Have her do strict paleo. The hypoglycemic feeling should be gone in 3-5 days.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene' Hardee View Post
If she has a medical condition, maybe she should see a dietician instead of having her friend get random, generic advice off the internet for her.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
If she has a medical condition, maybe she should see a dietician instead of having her friend get random, generic advice off the internet for her.
Indeed.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Beth Eternick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Probably. Presuming she's just "carb/sugar addicted" and working under the assumption that it's the sole problem isn't going to help with a medical basis.

OTOH, dieticians can be hit-or-miss also, and maybe carb/sugar IS the only real problem (I've known *several* people who are 'hypoglycemic' but really only live on processed boxed pasta dinners, candy and Mt. Dew. )

If nothing else, logging items might help a doctor (or nurse or other professional) get a better overview. And if this isn't something previously confirmed with blood work and a diagnosis, trying to drop certain foods in small doses may not be such a bad idea anyway, depending on the current sources.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Trevor Wallace

Profile:

I am hypoglycemic and I found the first 3 days of paleo tough but after that there were no more insulin swings. Have her stick with it for at least 3 days becasue it takes a while for your system to get off the crack.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Rene' Hardee

Profile:

Thanks all for your helpful comments (except for the snide one from Kevin).
I've suggested she go paleo since she has seen my great results, but she's putting up a fight. She has seen a doctor about her condition, but has not gone into detail with me about his suggestions or recomendations. She said she tried to give up carbs with her exboyfriend a few years ago and lasted about 3 days because she felt sick.

Trevor, sounds like paleo really helped your condition. I wonder if her doctor is really giving her good advice? She made it sound like he was mad at her the one time she tried to give up carbs, like it was a stupid idea for someone with her condition.