CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-12-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
Zach Nikka

Profile:

does anyone else but me think that plyometrics would work great in crossfit?

they almost seem to just fit...they use very little equipment...are (obviously) explosive movements...and get your heart racing at a good cardio pace. i think some kind of workout involving things like depth jumps, squat jumps, bounding, distance jumps, and clapping pushups would be awesome and would take crossfit athletes to new levels of explosive performance. especially if we used them tabata style....oh man that would suck i think i might have just created a monster...

side note: i know crossfit does employ box jumping...i just think these other ones would be great too

edit: heres a great website full of plyometric movements if you want to try a few of them

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html
Old 07-13-2005, 12:18 AM   #2
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Wallball counts too. And I try and do box jumps at a high enough rate to get a depth jump on the way down. And long jumps have shown up a few times. And with the O-lifts in there we're already running with the best rate-of-force development exercises out there. But I think throwing in some clapping pushups might be a fine idea. Clapping HSPUs, I seem to recall, will earn you a T-shirt.

I think the reason there's a limited number of plyos is that all the basics are covered already: jumping, sprinting, and throwing. Plyos got so hot with coaches that a fantastic array of questionable (and really weird looking) moves were invented that I suspect never helped anyone. But I'd be game for some more to show up for the heck of it. Maybe a hurdle move to promote hip mobility and explosiveness?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:48 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Plyos are a little over rated. Once again we learned them from the Soviets and took them out of context. The Soviets used them after many years of GPP training, were making kids do plyos. O-lifting, wallball, box jumps, kipping pullups, we got a ton of ballistic moves.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:11 AM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

I had grand ideas of trying to build up to clapping HSPU recently.

At my first try, I did briefly get my hands to leave the floor, but that's all they did. And the landing put a lot of pressure on my wrists. Seemed to me to be something you'd want to build up to *VERY* slowly.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
Daniel Hinds

Profile:
im more sure...well im absolutely sure that box jump and ball throwing exercises are all plyometric....so whats your real question on crossfit....unless u mean a huge volume plyometrics or more plyometric techniques/movements
Old 07-15-2005, 12:09 PM   #6
Andy Maddox

Profile:  
I agree that there are a lot of plyometric elements in Crossfit already, from the little I know about plyos. But since this discussion has started, and there are people available here who *do* have the training and experience to know what they're talking about, I'd like to toss in some old material I put together on using plyometrics for supplementing martial arts training.

It's come up for discussion elsewhere recently, and I'm getting some newer info to update it with, but if anyone here would like to take a look and let me know what they think (post here, or e-mail me with detailed critiques, either way), please do!

The stuff is webified at:
http://ferretstuff.freewebsites.com/plyometric.html

I'd really value input from professional coaches and trainers on this, and maybe I can make something useful out of it!

Thanks,
Andy
Old 07-16-2005, 08:34 AM   #7
Zach Nikka

Profile:

daniel

yes i know that box jump and medicine ball exercises are plyometric...i said that in my post

i was simply implying that we could benefit from a workout including things like depth jumps ( both for vert and distance ), tuck jumps, clapping pushups, and sit up medicine ball throws.

so far the best ive come up with is putting all 5 of those exercises in a workout for one minutes each, no rest between exercises, with a 1 minute break between circuits for 3 circuits. i structured it like this after the "fight gone bad" workout.

one minute of clapping pushups will get your attention.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
Brad Williams

Profile:

Aren't most O-lifts plyos???????
Anytime I jump with a barbell in my hands I get a sneaking suspicion that the movement has a certain plyometric quality to it.
The WOD seems to use quite a few of those.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:18 PM   #9
Christopher Sommer

Profile:

The following is from a former post of mine discussing some of the characteristics and benefits of plyometrics which you may find interesting. It was a wide ranging and informative discussion. The link following the excerpt will take you to it in its entirety.

"In my experience, the physiological adaptations to plyometrics can be extreme. However, while they will build extreme tendon and ligament strength, they will not result in significant muscle hypertrophy. Perhaps that is where the confusion regarding their efficacy comes into play.

Case in point, the bottom of a still ring giant swing (where the athlete falls from a handstand to a hang and swings back up to another handstand) will mometarily (fraction of a second) expose the athlete to 7-10 times their bodyweight (depending on their technical proficiency). For a 150lb athlete, that is an exposure to 900-1500lbs of pressure, all of which is born by the hands, shoulder girdle and lower back.

The results of repeated exposure to this form of upper body plyometric are significant. For example, the ability, upon testing, to perform heavy weighted chins/pullups (with bodyweight plus an additional 50%) and bodyweight barbell wrist curls for high reps are common without training these movements.

Similiar lower body adaptations have also been observed from various high level tumbling movements. Once again, significant gains in tendon and ligament strength without excessive hypertrophy.

Caution must be used however, in both designing the training load and ensuring that an adequete base of general physical preparation has been achieved, to allow the athlete to benefit from this type of training without injury."

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/3404.html

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Old 07-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

"one minute of clapping pushups will get your attention" . . . understatement of the month! :lol: