CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Phil Zito

Profile:
Question Intermittent fasting and/or the warrior diet

Anyone tried either of these diets?
Do they work for you? What’s been your experience?
Also, what does a typical day look like for you?

I have been tossing this idea around in my head the logic behind the diet seems to make since and is in line with a paleo based meal plan but I don't know about the whole fasting aspect. The science as explained makes sense but the idea of not eating seems foreign and wrong to me.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Brent Mattis

Profile:
Re: Intermittent fasting and/or the warrior diet

There we go:

http://tinyurl.com/n2zs5b [SFW]
Old 09-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Phil Zito

Profile:

If you read the questions you would see I am not looking for a post on the diet itself as there is a recent thread about IM. I am looking for people's individual response on how the diet worked for them and how they followed it.

Thanks,
Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Brent Mattis

Profile:

Oh, I was confused. I thought you wanted to rehash material covered here, here, and here. (ALL SFW).

Nevermind, ignore my post.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Joe Bernard

Profile:

This site has all you need to know about them: http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/ (wfs)

Personally, IF didn't work for me. I started out with 15 hour fasts, then increased from there. Normal fasts were 18-20 hours, but sometimes 24hours. I unintentionally did a 48 hour fast, just was not hungry. Bodyweight metcons were were good, but strength WODs (and heavy metcons) were iffy, sometimes they were good sometimes they sucked. The plus side was that I didn't have to carry food with me at all times of the day, which was refreshing, especially since I caddied and golfed a fair amount.

The reason why IF didn't work for me is that I didn't get enough calories in my feeding window, so I lost weight (both fat and muscle), which is something I did not want to do. I went from 5'10 145lbs at the beginning of summer to 130lbs as of two days ago, so yea, didn't really work out for me. During most fast days, I felt tired and out of it, with the occasional days of feeling good (probably because I ate enough for dinner). Now I am trying to recondition myself to eating 2-3 meals a day and it's tough.

The biggest thing is to make sure you get enough calories in your feeding window, or make up for the fasting days with a bigger intake on non-fasting days. Track your intake with fitday for a little bit, just to get an idea if you are eating enough because trust me, losing muscle sucks. People have had success with it, so don't be turned off of it just by me.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Tom Reyes

Profile:

I do IF, an 18-22 hour fast about every 5-6 days. It works for me. My fasts start at 7pm and end between 3-6 in the afternoon the next day. I'll have a snack, a meal, and another snack before going to bed and returning to my approx 95% Paleo, dairy, and gluten free diet. I usually lose about 1lb per fast. I feel good, and enjoy it. Hope this helps. Brent, if you don't like the thread, just ignore it. Sarcasm doesn't help. Hope your shoulder is healing, and hope you come back to BGI for a WOD or two here and there.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Tom Gerhard

Profile:

I average a 17-hr fast every day along with a food intake that is about 85% Paleo (I'll have a cup of yogurt with fruit a couple of times a week as well as a slice or two of home-baked bread, otherwise it is meat, more meat, and veggies).

My eating window is about 2pm - 8 pm, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. Oddly enough, longer fasts occur on the weekends. I normally work out fasted regardless of what's scheduled for that day.

I've been exceptionally pleased with the results. I've lost 45 pounds since March, and my performance has increased on all WODs. Granted, this could be the newbie effect, but I'll take it.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
Phil Zito

Profile:

Thanks all for the replies, all are interesting. I think first off I need to get my diet cleaner. I have been considering a paleo diet, however I don't know if I agree with the no beans and no milk. My logic is just because our ancestors didn't eat milk and legumes doesn't mean they are bad they just weren't sophisticated enough to produce those substances. The dairy I am more in agreeance with taking out of a diet but ALL legumes? That seems a little extreme to me.

I have been considering starting a paleo diet with milk and legumes and then as I proceed reducing the dairy and then introducing some fasting. I have read of some of the side effects of a high protein diet and they are scary but I have also read of so many people who have great results on paleo. I am torn between what seems to be the traditional logic that is crammed down our throats and the logic that is explained in regards to the paleo diet.

Additionally one of the counter points I read is how the Japanese survive on a largely carb and seafood based diet and are just fine. Is it that the fish counteracts the harm of the high GI rice? I know fish and omega 3 are known to have a lot of fat loss properties.

Anyways, thanks for the replies.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Brent Mattis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Zito View Post

Additionally one of the counter points I read is how the Japanese survive on a largely carb and seafood based diet and are just fine. Is it that the fish counteracts the harm of the high GI rice? I know fish and omega 3 are known to have a lot of fat loss properties.
That is strange isn't it. One study I read suggested that Green Tea reduced risks for Type 2 Diabetes. Also, total food intake matters a great deal. Few Japanese eat 4,000 calories a day, whereas many americans plow through that in a sitting.

One specific group, Okinawans, are known to have a fairly low average daily caloric intake and the longest life expectancy in the world.

Then again what works for them, might not work for people pursuing GPP as a 1,400 KCal/day budget doesn't leave a lot of room for Fran.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
Phil Zito

Profile:

Brent,

Your absolutely right when I was in the military I was consuming 6000+ cals a day to keep up with what I did physically and as soon as I left I gained 40 lbs. I have read allot of articles about the 30% calorie reduction range greatly expanding your life time. It would make sense because our bodies are made to exist in periods of low food consumption.

A point to the lack of calories (and maybe hormones) the Japanese are much smaller than the average American.

Hope this makes sense I'm going off a few days of consistent sleep deprivation.