CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-11-2004, 04:20 PM   #1
Nic Nakis

Profile:
Disappointed at myself for missing Crossfit North's Suffer on Saturday 13 times in a row, I decided to enjoy the beautiful weather and do my own personal Suffer on Saturday workout today.

I'm not the keenest on exercise science, but I'd like to learn what is wrong and what is right with this combination of exercises/activities, performed for time:

- 400m uphill/downhill sled drag, with 66% bodyweight in the sled and 34% in a backpack.
- two 15ft ropes, hung a yard apart. 5 ascents/transfers/descents.
- Target practice with 15lb football: 12 traffic cones arranged from 3 to 9 yards away from throwing position. Knock 'em all down, alternating throwing arms, and move on.
- 5 rope climb/transfers.
- Repeat 400m uphill/downhill drag.

Please post your feedback/criticism, it will help me to develop my ability to put together solid workouts and train hard.

Thanks,

Nic
Old 12-17-2004, 08:30 AM   #2
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Love the weighted football throws. Sounds like a blast. What exactly is your sled? A wheelbarrow with the wheels off? Rope work is always great. Looks like a serious workout to me. Your neighbors probably think you're crazy though.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
John Justin Syvrud

Profile:

nic, I have a background in exercise science, and honestly sometimes x-fit protocol flies right in the face of many "rules" found in most E&S books, so don't worry about that. This is also the reason why I love CF so much, and you can't argue with results. Anyway, I don't know what the originators try to accomplish with each SOS, but as long as you stick with the SUFFER part, I think that is the ultimate goal.
just my little opinion
Old 12-19-2004, 10:53 PM   #4
Nic Nakis

Profile:
I definitely suffered.

My "sled" is a tire with a rope through it, which I tie off to a climbing harness. The tire drags with a LOT of friction, so I have no idea what the effective weight being dragged really is.

I just found another cheap football, so now I'm gonna have two of them. Whatever good that is...
Old 12-20-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
John Justin Syvrud

Profile:

Funny that you have the same "sled" as I do.
when I was playing h.s. and college football my Dad made me drag several different sizes of tires, so definitely know what you mean by friction. I just used a rope with weightlifting belt. When my dad thought extra ab work was in order he made me drag it through sagebrush. definitely not fun.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:58 PM   #6
Nic Nakis

Profile:
A buddy of mine (football player) told me to try truck pulling. He said they used to just rope up the truck and pull it like tugowar. Sounds good to me.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:57 AM   #7
Brian Gibson

Profile:
I have never pulled a vehicle, but a friend of mine and I used to do car pushes pretty regularly. They were brutal, but fun.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:35 AM   #8
John Justin Syvrud

Profile:

yeah if you really wanted to punch yourself in the balls you could do a bottom rest tabata squat interval- bracketed by 100m car pushes. how well done do you like you quads?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:14 AM   #9
Brian Gibson

Profile:
OUCH! That would be brutal. You know it would make you an animal though.