CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Rolando Ezequiel Martinez
Affiliate Rolando Ezequiel Martinez is offline
 
Rolando Ezequiel Martinez's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wilmington  NC
Posts: 242
Buddy Lee Jump Ropes

Our Review:

Swivels break fairly often - even with proficient users.

Overpriced.

Terrible customer service.

We've bought all styles and have similar problems on all of them. I always wondered why they sold swivels/breakings and cables optional - because they break all the time!

Anyone have any good recommendations for jump ropes to use for group classes - that are good for double-unders as well. (We've tried the 4 dollar ones from Target, which are great for DU's, but they break at the handle fairly often because of the friction)

Thanks,
Ezekiel Martinez
CrossFit Coastal
910-632-4985
www.crossfitcoastal.com
__________________
Ezekiel.cp@gmail.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Chris Drewry
Member Chris Drewry is offline
 
Chris Drewry's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Memphis  TN
Posts: 534
Re: Buddy Lee Jump Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando Ezequiel Martinez View Post
Our Review:

Swivels break fairly often - even with proficient users.

Overpriced.

Terrible customer service.

We've bought all styles and have similar problems on all of them. I always wondered why they sold swivels/breakings and cables optional - because they break all the time!

Anyone have any good recommendations for jump ropes to use for group classes - that are good for double-unders as well. (We've tried the 4 dollar ones from Target, which are great for DU's, but they break at the handle fairly often because of the friction)

Thanks,
Ezekiel Martinez
CrossFit Coastal
910-632-4985
www.CrossFitcoastal.com
I agree about buddy lee

Have you tried duvide yet?
__________________
,
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Katrina A. Burton
Member Katrina A. Burton is offline
 
Katrina A. Burton's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lethbridge  Alberta
Posts: 206
Re: Buddy Lee Jump Ropes

This is strange that I keep hearing that people's Buddy Lee ropes break easily. I have a Buddy Lee rope and so do about 20 other people at CrossFit Lethbridge... we've had them for about a year and we've had ZERO problems.

It's all the other ropes we've had problems with.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Victor Putz
Member Victor Putz is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxford  UK
Posts: 554
Re: Buddy Lee Jump Ropes

Yeah, I've had a BL for gosh, about a year now I think, and no breaks or troubles. But I'm not giving it a really rough thrashing, either--the semi-constant use of a busy gym environment is a different matter.

I guess my response is "eeh, I like it OK." I'm not sold on it, but it's working okay.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
John Dunlap
Member John Dunlap is offline
 
John Dunlap's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mansfield  MA
Posts: 39
Re: Buddy Lee Jump Ropes

I had the high end Buddy Lee Hyperformance rope and mine broke at the swivels within the first year of owning. Not worth the $35 I paid for it. I bought a rope from http://buyjumpropes.net (WFS) and it has been going strong for almost 2 years now. It's super fast for double unders and not that expensive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
John Harkins
Member John Harkins is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West Babylon  NY
Posts: 8
Re: Buddy Lee Jump Ropes

just buy a speed rope from a sports authority. They're about 3$ and never break, just wear out over time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
Kurt Armbruster
Member Kurt Armbruster is offline
 
Kurt Armbruster's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary  AB
Posts: 469
Re: Buddy Lee Jump Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina A. Burton View Post
This is strange that I keep hearing that people's Buddy Lee ropes break easily. I have a Buddy Lee rope and so do about 20 other people at CrossFit Lethbridge... we've had them for about a year and we've had ZERO problems.

It's all the other ropes we've had problems with.
Did you order it in? I searched half of southern Calgary last weekend and couldn't find one anywhere.

Lots of Altus ropes though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
Ryan Powell
Member Ryan Powell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Arlington  Va
Posts: 21
Re: Buddy Lee Jump Ropes

my BL rope snapped in half after 5x using it outside.
__________________
http://www.powellfitness.net
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #9
Donald Lee
Member Donald Lee is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cypress  CA
Posts: 1,124
Re: Buddy Lee Jump Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harkins View Post
just buy a speed rope from a sports authority. They're about 3$ and never break, just wear out over time.
My cheap speed rope from sports authority broke. It's cheap though, so really easy to replace.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Tobias W. Neal
Member Tobias W. Neal is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Colorado Springs  CO
Posts: 257
Re: Buddy Lee Jump Ropes

We have had our BL ropes for over a year. We use them daily for warm-ups, skills work, and double unders, I have had zero problem with them. We jump on rubber mats so that may preserve them. I have bought 3 ropes from Dicks, both speed and weighted and they have broke within 2 weeks of having them. Never again...
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buddy Lee rope for cheap $11 Dave Henry Equipment 4 06-09-2008 04:45 PM
Buddy Lee rope broke anyone else Dave Henry Equipment 41 03-07-2008 12:13 PM
Buddy Lee & Crossfit Michael Halbfish Fitness 0 12-16-2007 09:37 AM
Update on Buddy Lee customer service Brad Davis Equipment 2 12-13-2007 06:44 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.