CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Andy Rogers

Profile:
I'm hoping Fitness is the right forum for this. Apologies if not.

K... I've looked and looked but I can't find any information on this. Actually, I've had a lot of trouble even coming up with a meaningful search criteria to use on either forums or search engines. Regardless, my question is this:

Are there any of you out there doing gymnastic strength moves that are 6' tall or more?

I'm just over six feet tall and I've been working on developing several strength skills. However, I can't find any examples of people my height gaining any level of proficiency at skills like planche, lever, flags, etc. Everyone doing/teaching them seems to be 5'5" to 5'8. =S

I'm getting better and closer (and ain't gonna slow down) to certain skills but I'm not there yet. I guess I'm just hoping to hear that there's a couple 6'+ enthusiasts out there that have trained up to some of these moves.

Thoughts?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Andy I will not lie when I say that the gymnastics skills are made easier by being shorter. However, at 5'10 I can do levers, planches, and flags... and I know that Roger who is around six foot can pull of crosses, inverted crucifixes and the ilk. So while it may take a bit more time these goals are attainable.

That being said... most of the elite guys out there are in the height range that you named, so what one must do is curse their short lever lengths and just train harder *grin*.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
lol, just posted this in the other thread..

w/f safe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvbLSgWMJec

kid's 6'0" 165
Old 06-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
Andy Rogers

Profile:
Ian, Steven... thank you both for the responses!

Ian, I have no problem with the higher work load. Looking forward to it, actually. =)

Regardless, it's good to hear that there is someone… anyone out there that has pulled it off before. While I'm not in a rush or afraid to commit the effort, I'm not anxious to do anything that is going to inevitably end in damage.

Steven, that You Tube vid was very encouraging. I carry a LOT more weight in my legs than that kid (too much time running up mountains I guess), but I should be able to put that kind of power into my chest and shoulders.

We'll see how it goes! =)
Old 06-07-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
While most of Roger's group isn't 6'+, they are close enough. Bloody giants compared to me.

Most of them are 5'10", 5'11" and working some sort of lever, cross, and planche depending on joint health mainly. It's definitely possible. I do believe Rog told me once, levers and crosses where much easier than planches for him.

I'm sure if you were to look at men's gymnastics from the early 20th century to 60's, you'll find plenty of taller gymnasts. Many did not get into gymnastics till their adult life. Skill levels and form was different but there were still people pulling off planches, levers, and crosses.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I've competed against a few gymnasts in the 6' 4" range. Yeah some of the strength and lever stuff is much harder. Still doesn't mean you shouldn't work it. It will take longer, but you'll develop fantastic strength in the process.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
Andy Rogers

Profile:
That is fantastic news! =)

I'm definitely sticking with it and I'll post significant progressions.

Roger, I've also taken my handstands back to the basics. As with most things, I'm nearly entirely self-taught. I realise now that I've been keeping my neck arched back so I can look at my hands. I've also had my weight firmly on the heels of my palms. I'll patch up the form and be chest and hip slappin' in no time! =)

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:14 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Andy,
I'm 6' 178#. Through consistent (every strength workout, 3x/week) work on my back lever, I'm at the point of getting the flat position with one leg tucked. It's only a matter of time before I get two legs with a two second hold. Basically, I'm doing gymnastic ring training for my upper body strength, and squats/DLs for my lower body strength. I do have a workout journal on this site if you care to look.

That being said, my upper body strength training right now is almost solely centered around the back lever. When I can do this, then I'll be moving on to the front lever, and then on to the next skill/hold. Then maintaining the strength in the skills obtained will be accomplished by simply performing them in my warmups.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:36 AM   #9
Chris Wyant

Profile:
Right now I am working on Planches and yea....Its hard - being 6'3, with 39 inch long legs and a left arm thats an inch longer than my right - yea....Balance is an issue.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #10
Andy Rogers

Profile:
Well! We'll just have to get there together then, Chris. This time next year we'll be posting asking questions about pushing from our planches into handstands! =)

Dr. G: I've been reading through your workout log. I don't understand all the exercises you reference but I'll do some searching and see what they are. If they seem like a good addition/augmentation to my own experimentations, I'll add 'em and post questions if I have them. Keep us posted on that back lever!