CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #51
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: Heart skipping a beat?

It occurred to me this morning that I have cut my caffeine intake from two cups in the morning to one cup normally. I don't know if that's much of a difference, but I thought I would mention it.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:27 AM   #52
Bob Guere

Profile:

I have gone down from 3 (and occasionally 4) to 2 max also.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #53
Joe Beman

Profile:

Wow. I'm surprised at how many people have this, but at the same time somewhat relieved to know I have company.

This past winter, I was having these symptoms constantly. They never stopped. Had the holter which indicated a tachycardia and a ECG which helped the docs discover a Bicuspid Aortic Valve.

The docs in NM Heart told me the arhythia is related to the BAV and to take it easy and stop working out hard as the valve can't take it. ........A second opinion said the tachycardia has nothing to do with the BAV and to work out as hard as I want. The valve can handle it.

Since then, I've quit coffee (was drinking 6 cups + per AM) and have some green tea in the AM and another in the afternoon.

Now, I work out as hard as I can stand and have no more arhythmias.

I guess one moral to this story is: get a second opinion.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #54
Bob Guere

Profile:

Thanks for the post Joe. I'm glad you're feeling better too.

I've not had any of my symptoms (premature atrial contractions) in almost a week now I think. I can't remember the last one I felt to be honest. That's good I guess.

However, I haven't been hitting the WODs nearly as often as I want. This week I'm gettin back into it. I did WODs Mon and Tues this week, took the rest day yesterday and plan on Helen today. I've been making daily critiques of my rest and how I feel as well as eating a bit more than usual. However, I've put on about .5 lb when I'm trying to lose BF. But I'm only going to Black Box this diet for a couple weeks then go back to a better zone to see if anything returns.

I was not given any physical heart warnings whatsoever between 2 docs on a LNP. I believe my PACs are nearly harmless as long as I react to the symptoms and take care of myself (rest, diet, etc).

Still looking for a cardiologist that is recommended here locally. I'm blogging daily about my food and health.

Last edited by Bob Guere : 03-27-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #55
Bob Guere

Profile:

For those following, I got the results of my last round of blood tests today. All were normal. My Thyroid Hormone (TSH) was at 2.49, right in mid-range. My total cholesterol was 176, LDL 124 and HDL 38. Triglycerides 70. So, I could use to get my LDL down and my HDL up.

Any advice on lowering LDL and raising HDL? I thought my zone diet was a pretty good balance to keep those in check? I'll have to let 6 months pass and re-test.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #56
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Glad to hear things came back normal (except for the cholesterol).
I've been looking for updates... Have you had any more flutters?
I thought I felt one last night, but I never got the usual symptoms, just kind of a squish sensation for one beat. I have had finger muscle twitches and leg muscle twitches, but nothing else.... and I haven't been drinking the Gatorade, but eating in the zone.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #57
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Glad to hear things came back normal (except for the cholesterol).
I've been looking for updates... Have you had any more flutters?
I thought I felt one last night, but I never got the usual symptoms, just kind of a squish sensation for one beat. I have had finger muscle twitches and leg muscle twitches, but nothing else.... and I haven't been drinking the Gatorade, but eating in the zone.
It's been 3+ weeks I think... I'd have to go back and check my blog to find out exactly when they tapered off and stopped. I'm not good at remembering data if I know it's written down somewhere.

Last night I also thought I was going to have one, I can kind of predict them by how I'm feeling now, but I never noticed one, and I quickly felt normal again.

I'm back zoning again, I just wasn't feeling good on the black box diet I was trying. I guess that's the purpose of black boxing. I felt bloated, full all the time and I wasn't losing weight like before. I feel good this week back 100% zoning since Monday. And I only have a Gatorade (G2 actually, even though lower electrolytes) right after a WOD, and not every time.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #58
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Well.. that' good I suppose. Interesting to hear how you felt on your black box diet. I've been eating in zone proportions and I really feel energetic!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #59
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Well.. that' good I suppose. Interesting to hear how you felt on your black box diet. I've been eating in zone proportions and I really feel energetic!
Yeah, I was surprised how "out of the zone" I felt with only occasional extra carbs. Nicole Carroll calls it the "teeter-totter" and I was definitely not balanced. I am now though.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #60
Camille Lore

Profile:  

This may or may not be related, but I noticed that I was retaining water- looked at my food for the past week and it has had massive amounts of sodium from the salsa I've been putting in my food!
Last night, I again felt one or two squishing sensations in my chest- no runs of irregular heartbeat though... Just thought I would post as it occurred to me that maybe my sodium imbalance is causing a problem.