CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
Michael Blazek

Profile:
Hi, I'm Mike I was told about crossfit by a friend who has been doing it for a year now, he told me since I enjoy working I should try it and I love it!

Quick Question: At this time I don't have a pull-up bar, working on figuring out how to put one up, but in the meantime is there any good sub for pull-ups. I did lat-pull downs on Helen the other day, which I then found out afterwards was wrong.

Thanks for any help
Old 07-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Timothy Mark

Profile:
One thought I have is if you live near enough to a public park that would have monkey bars. You will certainly need something that is stable if you are going to work on the kipping as well. There is a good video on learning the kipping motion if you haven't already.

I read about another guy who found a tree to use.

Welcome to cross fit. It is addictive.

Tim
Old 07-27-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
David Bennett

Profile:
Welcome Michael! You could get ring. I can hang my rings from the rafters of my garage, or from a tree in my front yard, or carry them to the park and set them up from a tree there or from the playground equipment.

You can do body rows, or jumping pullups as subs for pull ups.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Yeah, rings are a good option.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Michael: I'm not sure that doing lat pulldowns is "wrong" . . . it's just not an adequate substitute for the real thing. Still, it's better than doing nothing.

Can you just load up the weight stack on the lat pulldown to more than your bodyweight, and then do regular pullups from that?

Can you do pullups from the bar that the lat pulldown is hanging from?
Old 07-28-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
If you've got a garage, try finding a sturdy open rafter. Or, maybe the same thing in your attic.

Me, when I was a kid, we had a finished basement, but there was one exposed I-beam and I always did pullups and chinups on it, depending if I was coming into the room or leaving :-) made for some great grip strength.

Sometimes you've got very strong moulding around your door frames, and you can get a finger up on that and do pullups.

Let's see, what else... they already mentioned trees, those are good. Swingsets at the local school or playground, or any sort of pullup bars at the same place. If you've got a low house (like a ranch) without gutters, you can do pullups hanging off the side of your roof, I dunno, think of anything.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
Michael Blazek

Profile:
Thanks for all you suggestions.. I think I'm going to try my I-Beam for now.. Its a 9ft ceiling though so I better not lose grip. Well I'm off to do todays WOD I am not looking forward to it but heck I bet it I'll feel good afterwards .
Old 07-28-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Heck yeah man, do 'em on the I-beam for a while, and when you get a bar, you'll be golden.