CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
Michael Leach

Profile:
I'm leaning towards:

2 pullup bars in the backyard; [3] 4x4s, and [2] pieces of pipe would be the basic structure. 1 bar a couple inches short of my max reach (jumping pullups) and one bar a few inches above my max reach for strict pullups, kipping, etc. i was thinking about making the pullup bars about 36" wide each.

parallel bars; [4] 4x4s and 2 pipes of pipe would be the structure. i'm leaning towards making it higher than lower; thinking 4 ft-ish high(?). i dont want my feet to touch the ground when im doing dips. i'm not sure how long to make these (4-5'?) or more importantly the width..?

i was leaning towards using galvanized plumbing pipe from home depot; probably 3/4" (thats the inside-diameter) for the pullup bars and 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" (again, thats inside diameter) for the parallel bars.

if these turn out well and space permits, i was thinking about making some monkey bars or ring swings as well. :-)

thanks for the help guys!
-=mike
Old 07-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Anthony Cecil

Profile:

I was going to build some similar things for my daughter and myself, but did not want to set the posts in concrete. Has anyone tried an alternative for getting a good foundation for your backyard toys?
:-)
Old 07-05-2006, 05:05 AM   #3
luke allen

Profile:  
instead of setting the posts in concrete you can dig a hole with a diameter a little bigger than your post 2 1/2 to 3 feet deep and use a crowbar to tamp the dirt back in around the post. if you add a little dirt, tamp it good, then a bit more dirt, tamp...etc, you will be able to set the post as solid as you will ever need it.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:32 AM   #4
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Unless you have kids, I would avoid the low bar and build two high bars and get a box. You'll need the box for box jumps anyway and those low bars are just annoying IMHO.

I also vote for a rope climb. :-)
Old 07-05-2006, 05:59 AM   #5
Michael Leach

Profile:
im not the least bit concerned about a little bit of concrete anymore... last year i put a chainlink fence around the yard and concreted every pole, then i buried 1000' of pvc pipe for a sprinkler system, and the latest project was building a 25'x15' patio, i had to dig a footer (used [120] 80lb bags of concrete), then laid up over 100 blocks for a retaining wall, filled them all with concrete, back-filled, and capped the whole thing and built 30' of sidewalk using another 10 yards of concrete (thats an entire concrete truck).

i could care less about a couple more post footings. besides i've still got like 20+ blocks and 20+ bags of concrete i want to get out of my garage. ;)

so, about the dimensions... im thinking 36" will be fine for the pullup bars. my main concern is the parallel bars; how wide should they be? i have this "power tower" and the dip bars are like 1 1/4" (overall diameter) and like 21" wide on-center. I'm thinking i want my parallel bars to be narrower; i'm a small guy 5'4". i believe the rings are suggested to be mounted 18" apart, r ight? would that be too narrow for the parallel bars? should i use 1 1/4" pipe or something more like 1 1/2"-2"?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #6
Michael Leach

Profile:
I've been looking online, but not having much luck finding specifications. I did come across the following though...

Dimensions

Measures of the apparatus are published by the FIG in the Apparatus Norms brochure.

* Height 195 cm (6.4' tall) (including about 20 cm landing mats)
* Length 350 cm (11.5' long)
* Distance between the bars 42 cm to 52 cm (adjustable) (16.5" - 20.5")

I didn't find anything on the thickness of the bars, but i would guess it to be around 1.5" or maybe a little thicker. it looks like they're made of wood or plastic, but i'll probably use galvanized plumbing pipe for cost, and its easy to find.

i was also looking up pipe dimensions and if this chart i found online is correct...

3/4" threaded plumbing pipe has an outside diameter of around 1.05"
1" "" "" "" 1.315"
1 1/4" "" "" "" 1.660"

so im still leaning towards 3/4" pipe for the pullup bars, making them 36" wide and pretty tall. i can make a box or whatever if i make them out of my reach. it'll be alot easier for mowing and such as well.

and im leaning towards making the parallel bars out of 1" or 1 1/4" pipe (whichever feels better in my hand when i go to buy it). making them around 5' long and around 18" apart. i'm not sure of the height yet, but thinking around 4'. higher could be nice, but at the same time more difficult to get "up on them" and would hurt more if i fell off ;)
Old 07-05-2006, 07:35 AM   #7
Jerry Walker

Profile:
Any ideas for a rope climb? I am thinking of one now for outside,My local home depot special orders 24ft 6x6 $150 each ouch! i was thinking 2 of them for the uprights buried 5 or 6 ft that would give me 18 or 19 ft high. For the cross piece i was thinking of 2 to 3 inch black iron pipe again home depot, with t's threaded onto the ends of the pipe on the outside of the uprights, i think the 2 inch would be plenty strong O.D. is at least 2.25 and span would only be about 8ft, any other better cheaper ideas? I tried to fing info of stevemaxwells outside rope climb, but all i could come up with is he made it with galvanized fencing pipe no specifics
Old 07-05-2006, 08:21 AM   #8
John Velandra

Profile:
Michael,
These are the instructions for pullup stations that the Army has incorperated. Check them out!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ClimbingPods.pdf (135.1 KB, 1097 views)
Old 07-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #9
Michael Leach

Profile:
those instructions are insane! 6x6s! dang gone! then again, they're made to handle 4 big guys at one-time. :-)

well the more i think about this, the bigger i want to go... now im thinking about doing some type of rope climb, as well as the pullup bars and parallel bars. i hung a couple ropes in my garage but its only a tad over 8' and its not that fun... even when you start sitting on the ground. ;)
Old 07-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #10
Anthony Cecil

Profile:

Luke, thanks for the suggestion. I was wondering more about weather-resistant footings (sans concrete) or if I just bite the bullet and do some kind of evil chemical treatment to the lower 4 feet.

Although some don't mind more concrete, I have to rip a whole bunch of it out real soon and the thought of changing or moving my toys with a back-hoe some day doesn't thrill me...

John, great Climbing Pod ideas!