CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-31-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
Evan Gray

Profile:
Hello all,

I have a couple of questions regarding nutrition. First off, I am a college student so funds for food often sporadic. I do however, or previously thought, that I had pretty good eating habits. Mostly meat, vegs, fruits, nuts and whole grains. However, being in college the occasional pizza, burrito or burger slips in along with beer every once in awhile.

I am a very lean guy (6'5"ish @ 170#) and I am interested in CF. But was wondering what kind of nutrition ya'll would recommend keeping in my mind I am in college and what not?

Nutrition and Performance are of interest to me not just for physical activity but for overall wellness and enjoyment too. I have read the IF protocol, paleo and zone stuff on this forum and I find it all very interesting. How should I be eating?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
Jeff Evans

Profile:
I'm relatively new myself but the consensus around here seems to be Zone, paleo, or some combination of the two. Search around the nutrition forum for information about Zone (which covers macronutrient ratios and total amounts - quantity) and paleo (which covers food choices - quality). Others modify this basic formula with things like IF (eating only within a four to eight hour window), warrior (eating only once a day), etc.

Why don't you post your current typical day's meals?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Evan Gray

Profile:
Thanks for the help. After searching the boards for a while I have come to that same conclusion...ie that most do the zone, paleo or combo. I have read up substantially on the paleo and it sounds like a very sound plan. However, it almost seems unrealistc for seeing as I am in college and eating paleo style seems like it would cost a lot of money. I am still trying to gain info on the zone...the search continues.

Anyways my typical day looks like this:

Breakfast- Bran or whole wheat cereal (Raison Bran, Oatmal crisp) or oatmeal. Banana (or berries) and milk. Oh and my coffee...god I love it.

snack
one of these (one not all together)
Jerky, Nuts, Fruit or Clif Bar

Lunch
Turkey Sandwich (whole wheat bread, lettuce, tomato, pickles, mustard, cheddar and Turkey) and some carrots or fruit

Snack
Nuts or Fruit or Clif Bar or Accelerade

Dinner

When at home whatever my mom cooks (usually some meat, starch, vegs, sometimes fruit)

At school its sporadic-could be chicken and salad, could be couple slices of pizza, could be a sandwich.

Like I said I am lean, but not very strong. I want to get stronger. How should I eat to become fit (CF def.) and get strong?
Old 07-31-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Ryan Jones

Profile:
Well, to fit in the zone, the Bran, cereal, banana, bread, carrots, and starch would all have to go. Not sure about the jerky and have no idea how you'd find out the glycemic index of the cliff bar though I'd imagine its not good.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
Steve Liberati

Profile:
If you only drop one item from above, drop the Accelerade. Corn sugar is just horrible for your health no matter how you slice it...Post-workout or not. Don't be fooled by the clever marketing. Clif bars are junk too...(the story is good, but the bar is not). Think granola. One of the worst foods on the market, yet one of the most popular selling products at health food stores. Ha go figure!

So it comes down to how serious you are about your health and performance. If it means that much to you, you'll find a way to do right. The price is steep either way...either pay more now for higher quality healthy foods or pay later with your life. The choice is yours!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Check your college library for a copy of Mastering the Zone by Barry Sears or Paleo Diet for Athletes, I think by Cordain. Or look for any nutrition/diet books by those authors.

That said, some on this forum have learned all they know about the Zone and/or Paleo just by using the search function, not by reading the books.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
Kevin McKay

Profile:
here is an easy guide I put together

http://www.simplefit.org/nutrition.html

Cheers
Old 08-01-2007, 08:29 AM   #8
Evan Gray

Profile:
Thanks to everyone for the help. I have been looking on Art Devany's website regarding IF and Paleo eating. It was very interesting and seemed to make a lot of sense. Still reading information about the zone.

One last question though:

I read on Arts site that some people initially feel very crappy when they switch to this style of eating. It reccomends adjusting to this style of eating slowly. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Just do it, forget the feedback, as everyone is different. Give what ever you try 30-60 days, if you're really serious about raising your level of fitness and since food is fuel, consider a second job if cash is an issue.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
Kevin Perry

Profile:
Crossfit journal also has a good issue on the zone. It pretty much sums up the book and breaks down the blocks and gives snacks and recipe ideas if that suits your fancy. I can'nt remember which issue number it is..14?